Feeders and waterers for active meaties

Mrs. Mucket

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Pacific Northwest
What kinds of feeders and waterers do you use for strong and active meaties? At about 3 weeks my Freedom Rangers started knocking over their bucket/saucer feeders and waterers. My standard pullets have never knocked theirs over. Hanging the FR feeder caused other issues. I'm planning to make some PVC+nipple waterers attached to the FR tractor/range shelter wall but can't figure out the best type of feeder to use. There are 25 FRs. Thanks for your thoughts.

I use a bucket feeder which only gets knocked over when it is nearly empty (good sign I need to fill it). My standard 3 gallon (I think) waterer has never been tipped over by the FR, at least not that I can remember.

They did knock over the troth style chick feeders when they were about 3 weeks, it was about that time that I switched to a bucket style.

Quote:
I second the bucket feeder. That is the best feeder to use period! I have tried about 5-different types and have stuck with the bucket! I use just a 5-gallon bucket sitting on an oil pan. This is the perfect spacing so that the chicks do not try to perch (at least mine don't). They have jumped in a few times, therefore put something on top of the bucket and that is one less knock-over opportunity.

My waterer: I use a bucket for that as well. I take a culligan water bottle (one that fits in a home water cooler) with a few holes near the top/throat. I have a 5-gallon bucket with holes (above the height of the hole on the culligan bottle) big enough for beaks to access! I have enough rough for about 12-chickens to get water at once with that bucket, and it lasts a long time with the size of the bottle.

Quote:
I second the bucket feeder. That is the best feeder to use period! I have tried about 5-different types and have stuck with the bucket! I use just a 5-gallon bucket sitting on an oil pan. This is the perfect spacing so that the chicks do not try to perch (at least mine don't). They have jumped in a few times, therefore put something on top of the bucket and that is one less knock-over opportunity.

My waterer: I use a bucket for that as well. I take a culligan water bottle (one that fits in a home water cooler) with a few holes near the top/throat. I have a 5-gallon bucket with holes (above the height of the hole on the culligan bottle) big enough for beaks to access! I have enough rough for about 12-chickens to get water at once with that bucket, and it lasts a long time with the size of the bottle.

Do you have pictures of these?

Quote:

Do you have pictures of these?

sorry for delay,
here is the pic of the waterer (the feeder is pretty common and I assume you do not want pics of it) -
bucket-waterer.jpg

Back
Top Bottom