Feeders WITH a LID -- ??

Quote:
I have six (actually 8 currently but 2 are being re-homed shortly - roosters), and I do have to fill mine every day. I would maybe recommend the larger one from tractor supply . . . same thing really, only larger.

My hanging metal feeder didn't have a top either, so i cover it with a clay saucer from one of my flower pots. The size is perfect and it keeps mice out.

I see a business sprouting from this thread.... LIDS for CHICKEN FEEDERS! lol I like the clay flower pot dish idea..... sounds more substantial than the aluminum pie pan I rigged on mine....but forget it. I did just order a wall mount feeder --- drum roll please -- WITH A LID!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!! I'm selling that other lidless piece of bologna on craigslist!

Quote:
Here's the same feeder for a LOT less
wink.png

http://www.bassequipment.com/Feeders/Standard+Bass+Feeder/default.aspx

None of my feeders have lids and I use those plastic rubber pans for water dishes which also sit open. No lid = easy to clean and easy to fill. However... water is all in the tractor part of the run, food is inside, and they range fenceless sun up to sun down. Everything is elevated to just higher than their backs so they have to stretch and eat which results in less waste from billing out.

I also hang my feeders where the birds have to reach to get the feed. They are hung under the protected areas of the runs. I've never had trouble with the birds roosting and trying to get the feed out of the top. I prefer the no lid method due to it making it easier to just scoop the feed out of my small Rubbermaid trashcan right into the feeders without having to remove a lid from the feeder. Some manufacturers do make a quality lid for their feeders, however they cost almost as much as the feeder itself. There are also inferior lids available cheap, but they are about useless. Also keep in mind that birds are more apt to roost on the feeder if it is sitting on the ground than if it is hung and swings when they attempt to get on it.

I was so confused by my hanging chicken feeder- turns out I didn't have the bottom pan latched on right! The top cylinder has little holes that hooks on the bottom pan slip through to determine how much food is let out at one time. Once I got that figured out, I was able to hang it without losing the whole load of food. I bought a curved piece of aluminum for a buck and passed the rope through it so that the "lid" covers the top of my feeder and is a wobbly, unwelcoming spot for any hen who may choose to land there. The aluminum lid looks sort of like the dish of a brooder light but it was very cheap and, although not labeled as such, was stocked by the feeders in my local feed store.

Back
Top Bottom