Feeders WITH a LID -- ??

Kuvasz

Songster
12 Years
Jun 22, 2010
Ok, I realize I'm new to chickens, BUT. Isn't it just plain common sense that any type of bird feeder needs a LID??? Why is it that I can't find one WITH a lid? The metal feeder I bought at tractor supply out of necessity I rigged a pie pan on the top, and even though it's supposedly a hanging feeder, there's no way to hang it, and I've got it sitting up on a flower pot. So far it's only gotten knocked over once, and spilled a LOT of organic/soy free feed that is VERY expensive, all over the coop. Not to mention, if I don't cover it, I'm pretty sure they will sit up there and poop all in their food. Even people who sell cheap wild bird feeders have the good common sense to add a LID to the thing.....what's up with chicken manufacturers giving us such lame equipment!?

Someone on another thread about waterers mentioned that they can't hang the dang thing because the loop on top of the thing is straight across and of course it always wants to hang crooked, spilling out every drop of their water if it you do hang it and they bump it!!

I'm not really into making these things myself..don't have the time, tools or know how. I might live in the country, but honestly, I'm a city chicken girl. lol HELP ME!!!!! I'm really frustrated with this feeder situation.

and btw:

barnie.gif

Most of the time if you get it high enough they wont want to get up on it, they will be more interested in the feed below. My feeder hangs and its a small one but the top is open and they don't try to get on it and I assume its because it hangs. They used to jump up on the waterer until I raised it up on a block of wood and moved it away from their ramp so its not convenient for them to jump up onto. Ever since I raised it they haven't jumped up on it and fouled their water. I also clip both wings on my birds just to hinder them that much more. Would try these simple remedies before getting to crazy on rigging or buying of stuff.

My feeder I purchased at mypetchicken.com the link is below. It hangs on the side of my run, about 5-6" off the ground. They don't perch on it, or scratch the feed out, however they are still messy eaters and I put a flat 9x12 cake pan cover underneath it to catch the extra that falls to the ground (I also put my oyster shell in this), and I find they clean up the left overs fairly well. It still doesn't have a cover over the opening for feed (I couldn't find this either), but doesn't really get wet unless we have a real down pour of rain. I have only six hens, and I fill this every day, so there is not a lot of feed sitting for over 24 hours (to spoil if damp). I also have a hanging waterer that tends to go crooked and spill water because of the straight handle . . . I put rubberbands wrapped around each side of my chain to keep it centered . . . worked okay. Mypetchicken also has some hanging galvanized waterers with a curved handle that may keep it centered. Good luck!

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Supplies/Solid-Bottom-Feeder-7-42-oz-capacity-p603.aspx

My feeder resolution is a homemade one, since you don't want to do that I can't help you there. BUT for the waterer, take some electrical tape and scissors. Go outside. Put a little water in the waterer. Hang it, get it all level and perfect. Mark where the hanger needs to be. Now, wrap electrical tape around the handle on either side of that mark. Put it on until it's 1/4 inch thick or so. Voila! Stoppers. Now it'll always hang straight.
wink.png

Hi ya'll, and thanks for such quick replies and for sharing your experiences. Anain and Wiss, how many birds do you feed from your feeders that are wall mounted? Those look like a VERY good idea, and I'm considering ordering one of those. I have a dozen chicks that are 9 weeks right now. I can't tell from the pics on these links about the size exactly...that one says it comes in 5" or 7" I believe...is that the width? How tall is it?

Your insights and advice much appreciated!
smile.png

Olive Hill, I could hug you for that wonderful piece of advice! I've been wondering how I can secure the rope to that waterer so it won't move! I'm going to go wrap it RIGHT NOW!!

The feeder holds 10 lbs of feed, I have 11 birds and I fill it maybe once a week. Mind you, I also give other things like left-overs. But I really love the wall-mounted feeder as it stays very clean, no food is wasted and it takes up no floor space. Tractor Supply had a bunch of them. I really like that it holds so much food.

Anain, thanks for the recommendation. Going to order it NOW. That round feeder takes up SO much space inside the coop...this makes a lot more sense!

Back
Top Bottom