feeding 3 wk old boer babies

pattyjean73

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
NW Arkansas
Ok I'm seriously considering some bottle fed boer babies. They are 3 weeks old right now and the seller is bottle feeding them twice a day. I will get the information about what and how much from her. She states that they'll be ready to wean in 7 weeks. So here are my questions.

1. What do I start adding and when? I know they'll need to graze, and be fed hay, grains, and minerals eventually. But when do I start adding these things and how much?

2. What would be the best kind of hay for boer meat goats?

3. What kind of feed should I give them? I'm told that the sheep/goat grains aren't good for goats due to the calcium.

4. Is there a pre-mixed mineral available for goats? If not what should I mix in order to give them what they need? And how much and when would I start feeding that to them?

5. When can I start giving them treats?

I posted this in backyardherds but thought I'd post here too.

1. What do I start adding and when? I know they'll need to graze, and be fed hay, grains, and minerals eventually. But when do I start adding these things and how much?

I would give them free access to all of these from the beginning. They won't be interested initially, but nibbling will turn to eating, which you want. They won't graze-- but they will browse-- goats don't like grass, they like branches, bush, etc.

2. What would be the best kind of hay for boer meat goats?

My girls are dairy girls, so I'm not sure what the best hay for MEAT is, but everything I've seen says alfalfa for calcium.

3. What kind of feed should I give them? I'm told that the sheep/goat grains aren't good for goats due to the calcium.

Sheep grains aren't good for goats because sheep can't handle copper and goats NEED it. If you're going to grain them, try complete horse sweet feed.

4. Is there a pre-mixed mineral available for goats? If not what should I mix in order to give them what they need? And how much and when would I start feeding that to them?

Yes, and it needs to be loose, as they can't eat the compressed blocks. I use Manna Pro Goat Mineral. You'll want to give them free access to baking soda separately, so they can balance their rumen.

5. When can I start giving them treats?

Immediately! Raisins are a great treat for goats, and nibbles of leaves or brush and hay will teach them to eat sooner.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom