Feeding 41/2 Week Olds

2Old2Crow

Songster
8 Years
Mar 16, 2012
Kaleefornia Foothills
Man I've read so much today. Going back years of posts, and there's sooooooooo much conflicting info. Honestly, my last rodeo I was a first timer. Now I ain't wingin' it. (Get it? Wingin' it? I kill myself). OK, back to the post. The first bag of medicated chick starter is almost gone. It appears I should buy another bag of same. Yes? I was gonna go with growing feed, but maybe 4 more weeks of medicated starter is the way to go. Any thoughts? I really don't think the little rascals care!!!

Actually, when I bought my chicks, the guy at the store (someone I trust) told me that medicated feed isn't actually good for your chicks. It reverses the vaccinations that all chicks recieve before they are shipped out. I would stop with the medicated and replace it with the chick starter and grower.

I'd say it's up to you if you want to stick with starter or transition to grower early - I don't really feel there's a right or wrong way to do it when you're birds are at an in between age. Or look at the instructions on your bag of feed if you want to follow what the manufacturer suggests.

Yeah. Lot's of folks have an idea.....and I really don't think there's an absolute. I know they were vac' for Mareks. The reason I got em on medicated feed is cause I didn't read anything about them being vac for Cois-i-dos-ido. Even though the supplier said there was 2 things they were vac's for, they never mentioned that 'C' thing.

medicated feed isn't actually good for your chicks. It reverses the vaccinations that all chicks recieve before they are shipped out.
I've bought 3 batches of day old Chicks over the past 4 years from an independent farm and feed and TSC.
None were vaccinated against Coccidiosis or anything else.
Buying day old Chicks direct from a hatchery, you can get Chicks vaccinated, but it's optional and extra cost for each vaccination.

My current Chicks and 2 previous batches are/were fed a Medicated Start and Grow feed.
My first batch were fed Medicated for 18 weeks, the second and current batch have/will be fed Medicated feed for 10 weeks, then when bag is empty will be switched to a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower or a All-Flock crumble.
20200523_191229_resized.jpg

Medicated feed with Amprolium only affects the Coccidiosis vaccine. From Nutrena.
20190627_120952.jpg

GC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom