Feeding 8-16 weeks

Valormitch

In the Brooder
May 24, 2021
Hi all,

I currently have 2- Orpingtons and 1-Buff whom are 6 weeks old. I have been reading a number of articles online and some seem to recommend switching to a new food called pullet grower from 8-16 weeks while others do not. Does anyone have any advice on what to feed my chickens? Also, if you can recommend a specific brand I would appreciate it!

Thank you for the help!

Hi all,

I currently have 2- Orpingtons and 1-Buff whom are 6 weeks old. I have been reading a number of articles online and some seem to recommend switching to a new food called pullet grower from 8-16 weeks while others do not. Does anyone have any advice on what to feed my chickens? Also, if you can recommend a specific brand I would appreciate it!

Thank you for the help!
They'll be just fine on chick starter until 16 weeks. You can get really detailed in the feeding if you want, but it's not a requirement for healthy pullets.

I currently have 2- Orpingtons and 1-Buff whom are 6 weeks old.
Does anyone have any advice on what to feed my chickens? Also, if you can recommend a specific brand
I feed a Starter Grower feed 18% to all ages.
I offer Oyster Shells in a separate container at 15 weeks old.
I feed Purina Medicated Start and Grow 18% for at least 10 weeks, then switch to Nutrena Naturewise Non-medicated Starter Grower 18%.
It's what's available in store at my local TSC in 50 lb bags. I like both brands. I have ISA Brown hens and Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red chicks. GC

Last edited:
It's really up to you - you can continue with starter if you wish, or swap to grower. Or swap to all flock/flock raiser. I choose to switch over to grower at roughly around 6-8 weeks, to lower the protein slightly to slow their growth.

Back
Top Bottom