Feeding a mixed age pullet flock

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hey y’all!
I recently moved my 2 ~6.5 mo d’Uccle pullets in with my 2 ~3 month EE pullets and ~3 month d’Uccle pullet.

My problem arises because the older d’Uccles are on layer feed because they’re going to start laying any day now. The other pullets are eating grower feed. I’d just offer grower to everyone with oyster shell on the side but the older d’Uccles are too damn stupid to know what to do with it. Would it be extremely harmful to feed layer feed to the 3 younger pullets? They’re only about 6 weeks away from transitioning onto it.

TIA!

Mine too. I feed an all-flock diet, with separate oyster shell. Much better for everyone, all year.
Layer feeds were designed for commercial high producing hens in confinement, not for birds of other breed types, as your birds are. The calcium in layer feeds is high, and the protein level marginal, compared to an all-flock feed. Oyster shell in a separate feeder makes up the difference when your hens are actually laying eggs.
Mary

Wait, are the pullets not eating the crumble or the oyster shell?
Are the pullets laying yet? Have to gotten eggs that you know are from them? If not, its likely they aren't even laying yet.
If they are laying, it may just be that you aren't seeing them eat it, or they're eating such a small amount that you don't notice. Plus, not sure what its like in your area, but here is starting to get darker which usually starts to hinder egg production. They're still young so will probably continue laying, but possibly not with the same dedication as in the warmer months.
That could reduce Oyster Shell intake as well.

tHey look at OS like it’s alien eggs. They’re not laying now but will any day now. That’s true about the darkness thing!
They'll start eating it once they need it. I put OS in my Bantams pen before they started laying. I believe they spilt the container quite a few times, and didn't eat a crumble lol. Once they started laying they were all over it. Yours will get here as well, not to worry.

Wait, are the pullets not eating the crumble or the oyster shell?
Are the pullets laying yet? Have to gotten eggs that you know are from them? If not, its likely they aren't even laying yet.
If they are laying, it may just be that you aren't seeing them eat it, or they're eating such a small amount that you don't notice. Plus, not sure what its like in your area, but here is starting to get darker which usually starts to hinder egg production. They're still young so will probably continue laying, but possibly not with the same dedication as in the warmer months.
That could reduce Oyster Shell intake as well.
tHey look at OS like it’s alien eggs. They’re not laying now but will any day now. That’s true about the darkness thing!

Back
Top Bottom