Feeding a mixed flock--various ages, free ranging

This may be only partially true. The research I read supporting this argument was performed on birds that were confined and had no other food options. This is a free range flock.

I see where you're going with this thought, but since the vast majority of backyarders have no free ranging, very little range, drought poor range, extremely bio-limited range, experience 4-6 months of winter sterility in their range, and their feed offered the birds likely makes up 95% of the food supply, the advice/caution about Layer fed to non-laying birds, given above is quite reasonable.

Last edited:
This may be only partially true. The research I read supporting this argument was performed on birds that were confined and had no other food options. This is a free range flock.
It doesn't matter if there a free range flock or caged. Non-Laying birds have no way of expelling the high amounts of Calcium that they take in when on a Layer type feed.
Excess Dietary Calcium can cause damage to kidneys which can cause gout in any non-laying.

Chris

It doesn't matter if there a free range flock or caged. Non-Laying birds have no way of expelling the high amounts of Calcium that they take in when on a Layer type feed.
Excess Dietary Calcium can cause damage to kidneys which can cause gout in any non-laying.

Chris

Seriously, can you provide a study on that? By free ranging, you introduce acidifiers and also limit the amount of processed feed they consume. I use a Fertrell based/recommended laying mix.

As mentioned before, I have a flock 400 hens and they aren't dying after two years. They are pastured during the summer and fed grass silage during the winter. I also have cornish cross eating layer, and they aren't dying prematurely.

... and if you ask why I feed layer, it is simple. I get a great price when I buy it by the ton.

Last edited:
The controversy brings up the question, what about the rooster/roosters?
I have my first one, which we will keep because he is tiny and not very noisy.
He is kept with the girls, who he grew up with. When the girls start laying and it is time to switch from grower to layer will the calcium kill my little man?

The controversy brings up the question, what about the rooster/roosters?
Ahhh yes, the rooster. I have several cuckoo marans roosters that have been eating layer for close to four years now. Other people on here have similar experiences. Kind of puts a cloud of doubt into the "no higher calcium levels for non layers" argument.

Seriously, can you provide a study on that? By free ranging, you introduce acidifiers and also limit the amount of processed feed they consume. I use a Fertrell based/recommended laying mix.

As mentioned before, I have a flock 400 hens and they aren't dying after two years. They are pastured during the summer and fed grass silage during the winter. I also have cornish cross eating layer, and they aren't dying prematurely.

... and if you ask why I feed layer, it is simple. I get a great price when I buy it by the ton.
You talk like 400 hens are a lot of hens, As for studies all you have to do is Google it as I said to you more than one time before. I have done my "homework" and I know and have seen the out come of to much Calcium in a non-laying fowls diet.

Chris

Ahhh yes, the rooster. I have several cuckoo marans roosters that have been eating layer for close to four years now. Other people on here have similar experiences. Kind of puts a cloud of doubt into the "no higher calcium levels for non layers" argument.
Not a "cloud of doubt", your bird could have Kidney problems and you don't even know it.

Chris

As for studies all you have to do is Google it as I said to you more than one time before. I have done my "homework" and I know and have seen the out come of to much Calcium in a non-laying fowls diet.

Chris

I'm tired of googling and finding very little on the subject. Please enlighten us by showing some of your "homework".

You talk like 400 hens are a lot of hens,

From a statistic's point of view, it is way more representative than the mean flock size on BYC.

I am willing to change the way I raise my chickens, but I won't do it by taking the advice of a small hobbyist who does his "homework" and can not provide any documentation.

You talk like 400 hens are a lot of hens, As for studies all you have to do is Google it as I said to you more than one time before. I have done my "homework" and I know and have seen the out come of to much Calcium in a non-laying fowls diet.

Chris
What about the dange/problems of thin shelled eggs on the layers? I have a couple of girls who tend to have problems with the shells. Currently I have 11 one year old hens all laying regularly. I just mixed in 18 eleven week old chicks. They free range about 4 hours a day now that it is hot and dry. I have one feed tray of layer feed, one feed tray of Game bird starter, bowls of oyster grit, all free choice available all day to all of them. I see the birds crossing back and forth between the feeds. When we first mixed the flocks, the babies seemed to prefer the layer feed and the hens the starter, however, now, although I don't track each bird, I see them at what ever trough is open/close to them when they choose to feed. In your opinion, will the babies be ok? Are they getting enough of a balance? I have never seen the babies even try the oyster shells just the feed.

Back
Top Bottom