Feeding a mixed flock

You could always do the starter, then add some scratch for the hens if you wanted to cut their protein a bit, and give the hens OS on the side. I just give starter to the whole flock when I have chicks, then switch back to layer when the chicks get their cluck.

I have fed a starter/grower for my mixed flock (18% protein) since I have a roo and some hens, with calcium on the side. I have read on this forum that others have done the same and it works well for a mixed flock of different genders/ ages.

From what I've read, 18 to 20% Protein feed is fine for (egg layers) type of chicken, (male, female) chicks, pullets, and adults.
For a mixed ages flock including chicks. Nutrena Naturewise: Starter-Grower. Purina: Start and Grow, Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles. Are good options.
For a mixed flock over 8 weeks; 16 weeks if you are feeding a medicated feed: Nutrena Naturewise All-Flock or Purina Flock Raiser pellets, if you can find it, for less feed waste if you have a traditional feeder. All the feeds above average around 1% Calcium, and can be fed throughout adulthood with Oyster Shell separately and Granite Grit separately.
You can feed a medicated Starter, (Amprolium) to chicks and Adults and eat the eggs from the hens. (I would only give medicated feed to Adults if they were in the same coop/pen as the chicks). I feed non medicated after 16 weeks and have read that (Amprolium) is ineffective after 10 weeks.
If I had a Cockerel/Rooster he would get layers feed after 16 weeks. It's unlikely to do harm within 3 years of age. By then his effectiveness at fertilization declines and possibly his ability as Flock Protector, and would be replaced. But he would probably die before before 3 years of age defending his girls. GC

Back
Top Bottom