Feeding a mixed flock

CBell7312000

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2018
i have read soooo many articles on what to feed your chickens. I’m still coming to one major issue. I have a rooster with hens and we will soon have chicks. I can’t separate them all. How on earth do I choose a primary feed?!? We are currently using layer feed but long term, I don’t think that’s best for our big boy rooster and I know it’s not good for the chicks. I raised our current chickens by hand in our house last year because we were starting out. I do NOT want to do that again and had planned for the hens to raise their own babies this year. What do I feed them?!? They also get wheat grass fodder, scraps, and I have oyster shells out. Even when I’m able to separate the rooster from the chicks, I still have a mama with the babies so I still run into that problem.

Any birds not actively building egg shells should be getting about 1% calcium. Layer is 4%. Take the rooster off of the layer now.
A grower or All Flock crumbles with oyster shell in a separate container is how most people handle your situation.
However, protein can be an issue.
Layers need about 16-17% crude protein. Roosters do just fine on 13-15% protein. Young chicks need 18-20% till about 12 weeks then can be cut back.
They can all eat a 18% protein but IMO it is a bit high for roosters.
Sometimes I put 12% protein feed just for the roosters in a hanging feeder that is too high for the hens to access.

So if I do that (I just called and our store sells something similar) do I need to add more protein for my girls?

How do I add protein for just the girls? I will eventually have my chicks in a separate run but this year, it’s not possible. Once they’re all in there together, I don’t know how to just add more protein for the girls that the rooster won’t eat.

I settled on Feather Fixer for my mixed gender and age flock.

As others stated calcium and protein are what we try to balance. I tried more then one feed but swear they ate what was meant for the others.

When I had young chicks everyone got chick food. The older birds love it and it’s what’s best for the chicks. After they are old enough everyone gets Feather Fixer with oyster shell on the side.

i have read soooo many articles on what to feed your chickens. I’m still coming to one major issue. I have a rooster with hens and we will soon have chicks. I can’t separate them all. How on earth do I choose a primary feed?!? We are currently using layer feed but long term, I don’t think that’s best for our big boy rooster and I know it’s not good for the chicks. I raised our current chickens by hand in our house last year because we were starting out. I do NOT want to do that again and had planned for the hens to raise their own babies this year. What do I feed them?!? They also get wheat grass fodder, scraps, and I have oyster shells out. Even when I’m able to separate the rooster from the chicks, I still have a mama with the babies so I still run into that problem.
When this happens to me, I just give them starter feed for a couple weeks. Mine are free range though so the girls get mostly everything they need outside.

How do I add protein for just the girls? I will eventually have my chicks in a separate run but this year, it’s not possible. Once they’re all in there together, I don’t know how to just add more protein for the girls that the rooster won’t eat.
I guess what I was trying to say... is maybe you don't need to add any extra protein for your girls... it depends on how much is in the feed.

Also, it depends on what your girls are doing, and your climate.

It us nice to increase protein levels during the molt for ALL of the birds, make and female. It is also nice to increase protein when it is super cold, again for males and females.

Back
Top Bottom