Feeding a mixed flock

Layira

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
So I'm just wondering how you would feed a flock of mixed age chickens. For instance, my 6 RL pullets will be out of the house soon and in a few weeks I will be getting some more chicks. If my calculations are correct, my pullets would probably be starting to lay by the time the new chicks are in the coop. My question is, how would I make sure that the laying hens get their pellets but also make sure that the younger chicks are getting the correct feed? Is there a way to keep them from eating the wrong feed? I'm wondering because they will be housed together.

Quote:
Do you have any problems with the layers? It seems to me, from what I've read at least, that the laying hens would need more specific food.

I was going to ask the same thing. I am going to be putting a laying hen (currently eating layer feed) and a pullet (currently eating grower feed) together and am not too sure about the feed issue. In Raising Chickens for Dummies it says that you shouldn't feed the layer feed until they start laying, so I was thinking about giving them both the grower until they are both laying. Right now my layer isn't laying anyway due to depression, stress, etc....(but she is getting better!)

Any suggestions???

Ok, hm. My main concern was that the layers wouldn't get the right nutrition to produce eggs, but if that works, then I guess problem solved. Thanks everyone!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom