Feeding a mixed flock

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Oneacre Homestead, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Oneacre Homestead

Oneacre Homestead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Hi, I have ducks and geese that I have raised together. They eat greens, oats, and purina flock raiser. Well on the bag of flock raiser it says to switch them to layena at 16 weeks. The ducks will be laying a lot of eggs, so I seems reasonable for them, but the American biff geese will only lay 40 or so eggs. Is this good food for them in anyone's experience?
    Has anyone else had a similar issue feeding geese and ducks? I am hoping my trio of geese will breed so I want them to be healthy.

2. echix

echix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    TEXAS
    My geese free range the yard/field/pond and I have a bowl of flockraiser crumbles out.... they nibble at it all day off and on mixed with the cracked corn they get into / etc. They're around 6 months old and the parents/elders are 2-3 and they eat it too.... they jsut don't hog out on it and it isn't their sole food so I don't know if you've got them confined and that's all they're getting... maybe someone can help!

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    My mixed flock gets a high protein pellet without the extra calcium and then they get free fed oyster shell. That way, the ones who need extra calcium can get it and the ones who don't ignore it.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I feed my flock of chickens of all ages, ducks and geese Nutrena's "All Flock" pellets. Plus I keep crushed oyster shell out 24/7, free choice, for those who want it.

Plus I supplement with treats, old fashioned dry oatmeal, salad greens, corn on the cob, peas, stuff like that.

My Toulouse pair are not mature yet, but the goose does dabble at the crushed oyster shell now and then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by