Feeding a scissor beak

Shanlrich

Hatching
Jun 17, 2020
Hi- I’m new to chickens and one of my first had a scissor beak. She is 5 weeks old. She was doing Well with weight gain, but the others have now past her by in growth. I’ve read the threads and recommendations for feeding. Wetting here food seemed to help Some, but today I mixed of feed in a tbsp of Greek yogurt , and she loved it. My question is How often can I give her yogurt in her feed? I don’t want to give her too much, but she did so well with it that if I can give it daily, I will.
Thanks

Welcome!
Yogurt, and other dairy products, aren't actually that good for chickens, so a tiny bit occasionally, maybe, but not all the time.
Crumble or mash type feed, in a deep container, and a deeper waterer, are necessary. She probably can't get anything off the ground, so won't do well with extras like your other chicks can do.
This is a commitment to managing a handicapped individual, who will need some special care for her lifetime. Some can manage, and many can't, and I'm concerned that she's not keeping up in size, if her flockmates are the same breed.
Some beak trimming can help too, sometimes.
All the best,
Mary

Hi- I’m new to chickens and one of my first had a scissor beak. She is 5 weeks old. She was doing Well with weight gain, but the others have now past her by in growth. I’ve read the threads and recommendations for feeding. Wetting here food seemed to help Some, but today I mixed of feed in a tbsp of Greek yogurt , and she loved it. My question is How often can I give her yogurt in her feed? I don’t want to give her too much, but she did so well with it that if I can give it daily, I will.
Thanks

I read in another post that someone was giving their scissors beak chicken baby food mixed with some chick crumble and it was working. Baby food has about the same consistency as yogurt so, I think it might work. I don't think yogurt would hurt sometimes though.

These birds need every morsel they can eat to be high quality nutritionally, which is why chick starter or an all flock feed is best, however the bird can eat it. Some baby food, maybe, but make sure it's something reasonable for the bird to be eating. The goal is to not dilute the nutritional value of the base diet.
Good luck!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom