Feeding and water in extreme cold

taylacline

Chirping
May 19, 2022
Southern West Virginia
So I've been keeping the feeder and water out in the run to minimize mess and keep moisture out of the coop. We also usually don't use any type of supplemental heating in the coop. The girls don't seem to mind it being cold that much, usually they are out in the run even with snow on the ground. But with this cold front we did add a heat lamp and now the girls wont come out to the run to eat and drink. They tried and immediately went back in the coop. Should I worry about them not eating and drinking because its so cold? I don't want to move the feeders into the coop because I know they are going to make a mess, and I definitely don't want water all over the place. Also the heat lamp is just a temporary set up for this cold front to help them not freeze, once it gets back to just 20s or 30s we'll take it out.

So I've been keeping the feeder and water out in the run to minimize mess and keep moisture out of the coop. We also usually don't use any type of supplemental heating in the coop. The girls don't seem to mind it being cold that much, usually they are out in the run even with snow on the ground. But with this cold front we did add a heat lamp and now the girls wont come out to the run to eat and drink. They tried and immediately went back in the coop. Should I worry about them not eating and drinking because its so cold? I don't want to move the feeders into the coop because I know they are going to make a mess, and I definitely don't want water all over the place. Also the heat lamp is just a temporary set up for this cold front to help them not freeze, once it gets back to just 20s or 30s we'll take it out.
I’ve wrapped our coop against most of the wind. Haven’t added any heat. water is under coop . Hoping they will come out long enough to drink. Will be refreshing water during day if it freezes. I assume if they are just cuddling inside coop they won’t need much to eat. It’s a small coop and only 4 birds.

Attachments

• 08D5BE34-A483-4636-AE3A-857235CA7D7A.jpeg
    08D5BE34-A483-4636-AE3A-857235CA7D7A.jpeg
    778.4 KB · Views: 13
I'm having the same problem. Our coop could fit a small cup of food (like a plastic pint container from our recycling, but not their large feeder) but is not large enough for any kind of waterer other than, again, a plastic cup set on the floor. I would worry about them knocking that over and causing moisture issues in the coop.

Is it worse for them to not get any water for a day, or for them to get water in the coop but possibly knock it over and cause moisture problems?

It's supposed to be around 0*F for the next 2-3 days, and we'll be out of town for the day on Sunday, so I'm worried about how to get them to eat & drink during this cold snap.

following as I tucked my girls into the coop with moistened food but not sure how to get water in there without them kicking it over. the winds are nuts here and I think they need to stay in for the day/evening?

I'm having the same problem. Our coop could fit a small cup of food (like a plastic pint container from our recycling, but not their large feeder) but is not large enough for any kind of waterer other than, again, a plastic cup set on the floor. I would worry about them knocking that over and causing moisture issues in the coop.

Is it worse for them to not get any water for a day, or for them to get water in the coop but possibly knock it over and cause moisture problems?

It's supposed to be around 0*F for the next 2-3 days, and we'll be out of town for the day on Sunday, so I'm worried about how to get them to eat & drink during this cold snap.
I would say it’s worse to not have water. I moved our heated (dog) bowl inside the coop and will keep the coop doors shut until Sunday morning. I don’t want any frostbites on combs or toes. We keep feed inside the coop at all times instead of the run, so I didn’t need to change that.
Could you mount a heated rabbit waterer on an interior wall of the coop? Our bunny has one and it has a horizontal nipple almost identical to the chicken nipples on our chicken waterers, so I’m sure they’d use it & it doesn’t take up any floor space. ($20 for peace of mind and not running water outside all winter is so worth it too!)

following as I tucked my girls into the coop with moistened food but not sure how to get water in there without them kicking it over. the winds are nuts here and I think they need to stay in for the day/evening?
I’m leaving my flocks locked in their coops with heated waterers and plenty of food until Sunday morning. Might not be necessary but we had losses to heat stroke this year and our hearts can’t handle deaths or frostbite injuries due to cold if we can prevent it.
See my above post for a heated waterer that would take up no floor space or get kicked over if mounted to a wall in your coop. I’d grab some strapping and screws and a drill and have it up in thirty seconds, run an extension cord, plug them in, and get myself back inside. Brrr!
1671824300194.jpeg

1671824321101.jpeg

thanks for that reply. I have a heated dog bowl style but the cord won't reach into the coop (it's usually in their run) and I worry they'd get wet. I can't leave the house as this storm is too bad. I am going to check on the girls in another hour to make sure snow isn't blowing in!!

thanks for that reply. I have a heated dog bowl style but the cord won't reach into the coop (it's usually in their run) and I worry they'd get wet. I can't leave the house as this storm is too bad. I am going to check on the girls in another hour to make sure snow isn't blowing in!!
That’s what I use in my small coop. I had to run another extension cord as it is usually in the run and that cord didn’t reach the coop either. Hopefully the silkies & Polish don’t stick their crests in it! I’ll bring them inside for a blow dry if so and swap the bowl out for a bunny waterer mounted.

My big coop has a bucket with horizontal nipples and a drop in water heater in it.

I think I’ll go check on th again & mount our other blink camera so I can monitor the bantam coop too. Hubby mounted the first blink years ago in the only coop we had at the time. Now I’ve got another coop and finally just ordered another camera. He’s at work now and probably won’t see the need to stand outside in these temps to install a spy camera for me & my chickens when he gets off work. 😂

Back
Top Bottom