Feeding and Watering Struggles

So has this been tested through a winter yet and if so, what is your low temps?
We hit -10 for about a week. I wrapped a roof heater line around the entire system and it kept flowing. Definitely adjustments and insulation needed for sub zero temps but it does work!

I use a 3-gallon heated dog bowl for water year-round, I just unplug it in the warmer months. It's up on a stump which keeps the water clean. I love it! Haven't had any problems.

My only food/water struggle was at the beginning when I was trying to find a feeder that the chickens couldn't rake food out of. None of the usual designs worked, until I found this. It's the only truly waste-free feeder I've tried so far. It completely solved my problem.

I use these horizontal chicken nipples installed on a food grade white 5 gallon bucket. I prefer these with the wing nuts and silicone washers. In the winter I use a immersible electric water heater. If it gets below freezing then wrap the bucket with a few layers of bubble wrap (smaller bubbles) and tape around the bucket once or twice to hold it. I use a lid as well to keep it clean. Hang with small chain at chicken height. You can check the water level with a flashlight when it gets dark. I only use 3 nipples on the bucket in my application and have had 13 adult hens do well with it. I usually refill every other day in the summer here in Oklahoma.
https://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Hori...rizontal+chicken+nipples,aps,111&sr=8-10&th=1
ditch that dirty galvanized thing you use. You can still use that heater if you can adjust the height for the chickens. I hope that helps. I don't see any thing wrong with your feeder. I have a similar one but in plastic. It holds 30 pounds of crumbles.

My wife and I live in Utah and have 8 chickens. We have struggled a bit knowing the best way to feed and water our chickens.

What struggles have you had feeding and watering your chickens?
We use 3 gallon waterers sitting on 2 cinderblocks and never have had one turned over. We get over 100 some days in summer and 90s reularly. On hot days we give them clean cool water in the morning. Then around 11 to noon we put a 2 liter bottle that is frozen water and put it inside waterer to keep their water cooler for hot temps of afternoon. In winter we have had a few challenges. The round heaters you sit these waterers on work great down thru the 20s.. but low teens-single digits-and below zero it cant keep up to keep water warm.. it will freeze. What has helped us thru those times is using the old type crock pots. Leave them on low or higher deppending on the need. I had one that still worked perfect and was large that we got as a wedding gift in 1973. Once we saw it worked we started keeping our eyes out at garage sales and thrift stores. You have to use the old kind cause the inside crock is twice as thick and the pot is very heavy so they dont turn it over. The newer ones are too light. But keep your eyes out or tell someone you know that goes to sales to pick up a couple. No one really wants those old heavy ones and we have never seen them priced above $5.. we never paid more than $3 max for any of hours. Hope water issuses can be resolved by some of these different options..good luck.

Back
Top Bottom