Feeding and Watering Struggles

I am open to recommendations, but really just want to understand what struggles others have had and how you have overcome them?

For us, its hard to know when out birds are out of water. Often they will tip over their water without us knowing and go a day without water. That's an example of one issue we are having.
Hey. I'm in my 5th week as a chicken owner and haven't had any issues.. yet 🤞 I made these pvc feeders and they take what they want when they want. The water bowl is a heavy duty rubber bowl from TSC that I have raised off the ground 5 inches or so. and no tip overs to this point. I'm not sure how much they are supposed to drink but I put a gallon in every day and probably like 3 quarts left in it end of day.

Attachments

• PXL_20240124_202908608.jpg
    PXL_20240124_202908608.jpg
    892.9 KB · Views: 6
Where did you get the heater base? That looks very useful.
It was an open box from Amazon Warehouse and purchased during the summer, so was a great price. There are off brands that have similar products, but I was only wanting a name brand (Manna Pro, Little Giant, Farm Innovators,etc)

Here is one at Chewy

My wife and I live in Utah and have 8 chickens. We have struggled a bit knowing the best way to feed and water our chickens.

What struggles have you had feeding and watering your I also live kn urah we use fir feeding 5"pvs pipes and have to fill them every 2 weeks and for watering we use a continuous
Drip.system where they just
Peck at a specket to get their water
Good luck

My wife and I live in Utah and have 8 chickens. We have struggled a bit knowing the best way to feed and water our chickens.

What struggles have you had feeding and watering your chickens?
I use 3 gallon buckets from the feed store for water. Biggest problem I have is freezing in the winter. I overcome that by checking 2-3 times per day when air temps get down below 30-ish. I bring out fresh water every morning, regardless of season (two buckets in rotation). I also make sure pullets are tall enough to reach the water before I remove their “baby” gravity waterer.

In summer, I often bring out cool water midafternoon. If I enjoy a cool drink when it’s hot, I figure my critters do, too.

Most animals, in the wild at least, are more active at dawn and dusk. If you & spouse both work, make it a point to check water at critical times. For my chickens, the evening check/feed is about an hour before sunset to give them time to eat and drink before roosting.

I'm in Colorado and I struggle with keeping the water plentiful (hot weather dries it up quickly, cold weather freezes it quickly) and clean (it's pretty dusty here). I have 16 chickens. I used this video to inspire my new waterer and put the pond pump in a giant trash can full of water. After fine tuning it I only need to refresh/clean their water every two weeks. Never going back to any other type of waterer. They're so much happier and laying consistently since they can't sabotage the water supply anymore! 😂

I'm in Colorado and I struggle with keeping the water plentiful (hot weather dries it up quickly, cold weather freezes it quickly) and clean (it's pretty dusty here). I have 16 chickens. I used this video to inspire my new waterer and put the pond pump in a giant trash can full of water. After fine tuning it I only need to refresh/clean their water every two weeks. Never going back to any other type of waterer. They're so much happier and laying consistently since they can't sabotage the water supply anymore! 😂

So has this been tested through a winter yet and if so, what is your low temps?

Back
Top Bottom