Feeding back limed egg shells?

Jul 1, 2020
Hello đź‘‹. I have possibly a silly question, but I want to avoid making a mistake.

I have been going through the eggs we have put away for the winter which are preserved in food grade picking lime.

I’m wondering if the egg shells of these eggs would be safe to clean, bake, and feed back to my chickens and quail, even though they have been in the pickling lime solution? Or no?

Thank you!!

Hello đź‘‹. I have possibly a silly question, but I want to avoid making a mistake.

I have been going through the eggs we have put away for the winter which are preserved in food grade picking lime.

I’m wondering if the egg shells of these eggs would be safe to clean, bake, and feed back to my chickens and quail, even though they have been in the pickling lime solution? Or no?

Thank you!!

I would not.
Calcium hydroxide (traditionally called slaked lime) is an inorganic compound .... It has many names including hydrated lime, caustic lime, builders' lime, slack lime, cal, or pickling lime.
I was researching putting hydrated lime into my coop and it said it burns the chickens feet.

Back
Top Bottom