Feeding Bantam chicks??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by RevaT1987, Apr 5, 2017.

1. RevaT1987

RevaT1987 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    Ft. McCoy, Florida
    I have 5 bantam chicks. They are still tiny, only about 5-6 weeks old. I bought a 50 pound bag of feed because I also have 4 Barred Rock chickens, and 3 ducks that are older. My problem is that when I bought the bag I did not realize that it was pellets not crumbles. My bantams seem to be having a little trouble eating them. I know they are at least getting some of the feed down, but they are dropping a lot and always seem hungry even when there is feed in there cage. I tried to break it up in a zip lock bag using a hammer. But that just turned it to dust and I am worried about them inhaling the dust. So I am wondering if I can just add a little bit of water either before or after I mash it up. I would just make it like a thick paste, not soupy.
    I have read different things about adding water right before I feed it to them and can't seem to get a straight answer on if its OK.
    If that's not OK is there any other things I can do so its easier for my little guys/gals to eat??

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    You can blend it up a little, in a blender.

3. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Yes, add water to make a thick paste. As they get bigger use less water so the pellets retain some of their shape and they get used to eating the bigger pellets. Eventually you can feed it dry.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Both ideas will work fine, but I wonder what the feed is? I've never had either a chick feed, or an all flock feed, that comes in pellets. Are you feeding them a layer feed? Not good, if that's what it is. Mary

5. RevaT1987

Mar 16, 2017
    Ft. McCoy, Florida

It's a all flock made by Nutrena. [​IMG]

6. RevaT1987

Mar 16, 2017
    Ft. McCoy, Florida
    Thanks everyone, the chicks seem to be eating it without a problem. I had heard mixed things on weather it was OK to feed wetted feeds to chicks but so far no problems!

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    As long as it doesn't mold it will be OK. Just make sure you remove any they haven't consumed by the end of the day.
    Starter crumbles are best for chicks, even LF chicks.

8. RevaT1987

Mar 16, 2017
    Ft. McCoy, Florida

Thanks, I have been changing the feed and washing the feeder 2X a day. They are still inside most of the day so its a little easier to make sure they always have clean/ fresh food [​IMG]

9. biophiliac

biophiliac Chillin' with the Peeps Premium Member

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    Quote:I fed moistened crumbles to my chicks 2 - 3 times per day and they far preferred it to the dry. Bonus - much less spilled and wasted. I also left a small bowl of dry crumbles 24/7 just in case. Even as adults they still enjoy their bowl of moistened pellets! spoiled girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by