Feeding Broiler Feed to Mixed Flock

Broken_echo13

Chirping
Apr 5, 2023
So my local feed mill produces 2 types of poultry feed a 16% laying feed and a 18% broiler feed. Once we have cockerels in with our laying hens would feeding the broiler feed with free choice oyster shells be ok for them long term.

Nutrition Label below
20231024_173857.jpg

That would work, but I wouldn't go that route long term. The problem isn't letting the hen's get their calcium from oyster shell. That part is a good idea. The problem is that 18% is IMO too high for the roosters. Mature roosters do better with about 15% protein or less.

Another option that may work is to use 2 different types of feeders. One for roosters that is hung too high for the hens to access and maybe another type for hens that only they can get their heads into. That method depends on the breed/s you have.

Or maybe another method would be your plan and with an elevated feeder at rooster height which only has grain in it leaving the feeders accessible to everyone with the poultry feed in it. Grain is virtually devoid of calcium and between 8 and 12% protein.
Then the rooster could self adjust.

I have no issues feeding roosters higher protein even than that - helps the young males bulk up, which puts them on the table at better weight. The old boys simply eat less.

Its true that there are "maintenance" feeds at low protein designed for roos doing reproductive duties, but I'm unaware of any studies showing negative health consequences for Roos at (reasonable) greater protein numbers, particularly for dual purpose birds.

There ARE special feed regimens for Cx parent stock, because of their rather unique needs, but those have more to do with controlling caloric intake than crude protein.

I have no issues feeding roosters higher protein even than that - helps the young males bulk up, which puts them on the table at better weight. The old boys simply eat less.

Its true that there are "maintenance" feeds at low protein designed for roos doing reproductive duties, but I'm unaware of any studies showing negative health consequences for Roos at (reasonable) greater protein numbers, particularly for dual purpose birds.

There ARE special feed regimens for Cx parent stock, because of their rather unique needs, but those have more to do with controlling caloric intake than crude protein.
I was going to extoll the virtues of fat young roosters but you beat me to it.

Back
Top Bottom