Feeding broilers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by havery, Mar 20, 2015.

1. havery

havery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    East Texas
    I'm new to the meat birds (I'm used to my layers!), this is my first go-round. I have a few questions concerning feeding. I currently have 27 red rangers (started with 30 and lost 3 to shipping stress) and 6 Cornish X (purchased today from tsc because I was curious and looking to replace my lost rangers), they will be in tractors with about 2.5-3 sq ft per bird (though I might separate the Cornish if they need it or don't thrive). I know I will need to butcher the Cornish first.

What level of protein should I look at feeding my birds and do the Cornish require different levels than the rangers? My local feed store has anywhere from 15-26% protein available (apparently the local 4h kids favor the 26% but it seemed excessive to me). At what point will I take them off chick starter?

Also, what should I be looking at to finish, or do they stay on the same feed all the way to butcher weight?

I'd welcome any other pointers too! My birds are all 2-8 days old right now but I know they'll be out of the brooder before I know it!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by