feeding chick feed to newly hatched turkeys

freda

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 8, 2011
Hi, Can anyone tell me whether it is safe to feed chick starter feed to newly hartched turkeys. We had 3 chicks hatch from our broody hen 2 weeks ago and have hopefully 5 turkeys due to hatch in next 2-3 days. Can I feed them the same food?

I would suggest feeding all of the youngsters gamebird feed. You can get it in the medicated form if that is what you like to feed. The poults will need the additional protien since they grow so fast and it won't hurt the chicks at all. I have had a mix of chicks and poults that hatched together and have been feeding them the gamebird starter feed since day one. They are about 2 1/2 months old and doing great!

I would suggest feeding all of the youngsters gamebird feed. You can get it in the medicated form if that is what you like to feed. The poults will need the additional protien since they grow so fast and it won't hurt the chicks at all. I have had a mix of chicks and poults that hatched together and have been feeding them the gamebird starter feed since day one. They are about 2 1/2 months old and doing great!

X2

We are feeding our poults gamebird starter feed too and they are growing and thriving.​

Thanks for info. Gamebird feed it is then. Off to the local animal food shop today as 3 have hatched so far this morning., 2 others have piped. Looking good for 5 out of 6 eggs. (did not think 6th was fertile when candled but left just in case).

Should have asked, any suggestions on how to sex norfolk black turkeys? Doesn t really matter but the kids want to know.

Back
Top Bottom