Feeding chicken the eggs you withhold after worming??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nwjolly, Sep 30, 2013.

1. nwjolly

nwjolly New Egg

Jan 11, 2013
    Is it safe to feed my hens the eggs that I have withheld after worming them?? I have a few of my 2yo hens that have been molting. I know that the extra protein is good for them while molting but I'm not sure if the eggs are safe to feed them if they have worming meds in them. By the way I used safegaurd to worm with 5 days ago. I don't want to do anything that might harm them. Any advice is welcome.

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    If any of the worming meds got into the eggs then you are still feeding them the worming meds. This means that the withdraw time starts after they stop eating them/ you stop dosing them. It won't make them sick but can help the worms build an immunity to the med. I would suggest against it just for this purpose.

2 people like this.
  3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Do not use Safeguard (Fenbendazole) while birds are in moult. It can cause irregular feather growth.

The only time I have fed cooked, mashed eggs back to birds is to supply nutrients to a sick bird. Certainly not eggs laid during the withdrawal period from medications. Raw eggs should never be fed back to birds. Raw eggs contain a protein called Avidin. This chemical inactivates Biotin, which is a vitamin. So by doing that, it creates a vitamin deficiency. It would also encourage the bad habit of egg eating from the nest.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by