Feeding Chickens Bananas??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ALVIEMAN, Jun 27, 2011.

1. ALVIEMAN

ALVIEMAN Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    SAINT CLAIR, MO
    [​IMG][​IMG] WAS WONDERING IF IT'S O.K. TO FEED MY HENS SOME BANANA?? WE HAVE A COUPLE OF OVERRIPE ONES, AND WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE KNEW IF IT WAS ALRIGHT TO SEE IF THEY LIKE?? THANKS.[​IMG]

2. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    I feed my chickens overripe bananas all the time. They LOVE them! [​IMG] I don't give them the peels, but not sure if there is any reason not to. The actual banana is a favorite treat, and very healthy. Your birds will thanks you. [​IMG]

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

They love 'em.

4. pottymouthspoultry

pottymouthspoultry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Adirondack Mountains
    Mine absolutely LOVE bananas! We don't like over ripe bananas, so we give them to the chickens... It's one of their favorite treats!

5. discoveregg

discoveregg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    My three maran hens do not like them [​IMG]

6. Bananas are a great treat for chickens. Our flock goes nuts over a half dozen [​IMG] bananas. They don't last long, that's for sure. Nothing but goodness [​IMG] for chickens. And the peels will not hurt them although they don't eat the peel. [​IMG]

7. chickenscott

chickenscott Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Pacific NW
    My Coop
    My girls love them too! They get it all over thier faces! [​IMG]

8. geekgurl

geekgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Mine gobbled them down at first, but then started shunning them. On a sidenote, I bought the overripe bag of bananas at the grocery and discovered that they were perfect but just a bit bruised on the outside. Now I look at those before I buy full price bananas.

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    To encourage my hens to eat their layer pellets I often mix in something special like a very ripe banana. Usually well browned, the only kind my boys won't eat.

10. ALVIEMAN

ALVIEMAN Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    SAINT CLAIR, MO
    Thank You Everyone. They Seemed To Like Them Alot!! Gave Them Some Apple Too They Enjoyed!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by