Feeding Chickens Crushed Wood Charcoal Mixed with Vinegar?

Mine love to eat styrofoam so I'm sure they'd eat wood charcoal but I'm not about to include either in their diet.
at least, not deliberately...

I do burns in my pasture from time to time of scrub as I clear it - since I free range, the birds can eat some if them want. I've not noted any differenace in my flock, its its not something I do as a deliberate choice for my birds - its more that I'm too lazy to drag the scrub inside my electric fence outside my acres before burning it....

Yes, those old time treatments!
Years ago i got to treat the surviving dog of a group that her owner doused in used motor oil to kill the mange. It killed the mange mites all right, and several dogs, except this one. Another old time treatment, like kerosene.
My mother remembered having her long hair combed out with kerosene to kill lice. It worked...
Mary

I've read that this is not uncommon and that many animals seek out charcoal to eat. Why? It's a natural detoxifying agent as it passes through the systems of all animals...

I occasionally use charcoal in my coop to reduce odors. I’m sure they may know at some…there are some benefits related to nutritional uptake and manure texture/odor from what I’ve seen.

Now that campfire season is here in New England, I plan to make small amounts of charcoal whenever I have a fire going.

We burn hardwood, mostly oak and hickory, to heat our house every winter. We put some of the ash in the chickens' dust bathing area. They haven't used it since. 😕 I'm a little worried that rain caused it to produce lye. They certainly showed no interest in eating it.

Back
Top Bottom