Feeding chickens of different ages

DesertDog

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
I have 3, 9 month old chickens and just acquired 3, 3 month-old chickens. The older birds are on layer pellets and I wanted to feed the younger ones the grow feed. They free-range and are all in the same coop. Will it hurt for them to eat each other's food? The older birds just love the grow feed.

as long as you provide Oyster Shell free choice, it should be fine. just dont feed the younger ones the layer food....

Would it be harmful for the baby birds to eat the layer pellets. They do it all the time.

The feed with the highest protein level is what you should feed until the younger birds reach at least 20 weeks. Be sure to provide oyster shell in a separate dish to allow the older hens to increase their calcium levels.

Purina Flock Raiser fits just exactly that scenario. It comes in a green bag and it's about $13/50# at my TSC. I also have 3 age groups in my yard. I started the babies off on Flock Raiser and they have been growing SO well, and the adults seem to prefer it over their layer pellets, so that's what I feed everybody when they free range together out in the yard.

They can all eat the Flock Raiser, it's 20% protein, and only the layers will eat the oyster shell if they need it.

Feeding layer pellets to growing birds is bad for them.

Quote:
I also feed the Purina Flock Raiser, plus the free choice oyster shell. I had a broody hen raise 7 chicks. We'd put her in a "coop within a coop" and feed the starter. Then at 3 weeks or so, we introduced her and her brood back into the flock which was eating the Flock Raiser. The four pullets that I kept from this hatch have grown into nice, well-feathered young ladies. Two are now laying.
I'd also read that the layer feed is harmful to a chicks kidneys.

Quote:
I also feed the Purina Flock Raiser, plus the free choice oyster shell. I had a broody hen raise 7 chicks. We'd put her in a "coop within a coop" and feed the starter. Then at 3 weeks or so, we introduced her and her brood back into the flock which was eating the Flock Raiser. The four pullets that I kept from this hatch have grown into nice, well-feathered young ladies. Two are now laying.
I'd also read that the layer feed is harmful to a chicks kidneys.

Back
Top Bottom