Feeding chickens only sprouts

Pics
Is there any more natural way to go without layer feed that would be more balanced
I know but then I asked if there was anything else I could give them to help and that’s where no one would answer but I get it it’s more complicated then that
If you want them to have a more natural diet, give them sprouts with their feed. Give them seeds, bugs, and maybe some meat scraps. If you have the space let them free range. It won’t give them all or even most of their food, but it’s a fun way for them to eat, and have a more “natural” diet.

Yeah I got it from someone I bought a chicken from that I should not have, they are not stressed at all and I don’t understand how it is malnourishment it’s natural and I would be able to supplement anything I needed I could supplement vitamins, minerals, protein and calcium so I really don’t see the problem if all their needs are met
What kind of protein? How much protein? A horse left alone in an alfalfa field will die of over-nutrition (not “may die”, the horse Will die of over-nutrition), and I think the same could be true of sprouts—-they’re a terrific addition to a diet, but possibly a dangerous staple. I’ve heard that too much is toxic. You could try to find an elevator and ask them if they sell whole seeds/grains that you can sprout, and their recommendations.

I'd like to hit on one thing.
There is no such thing as a "Natural" Diet when it comes to chickens.
There are no "Wild" chickens, chickens are a man made fowl that we created from breeding different types of Jungle from different regions for eggs and sport.
The best thing to feed them as a main feed is a good pre bagged feed.

I was wondering some of your thoughts on feeding chickens only sprouts, I’m relatively new to all this, I have been giving layer feed but I wanted to switch to sprouts only and I will be providing vitamins/ minerals and oyster shells, but my question was, will my chickens continue to lay the same as on layer feed ?
Everybody on here is right. Chickens need a pretty robust whole grain diet and for laying I believe it’s at least 16 percent protein. Different aged chickens need different things. Also important is if they’re free range or not. If you’re interested in making your own feed I’ve seen some pretty good recipes online like this one:
https://www.gardenbetty.com/garden-bettys-homemade-whole-grain-chicken-feed/

And that site has pretty good recommendations/substitutions too. I would read all the information there. A good diet (there are many good organic milled options) plus treats (like other seeds and mealworms) and some select kitchen scraps if they like them (my chickens are super picky!) is best for healthy chickens and healthy eggs.

How are you planning to create a balanced diet? I am a Veterinary Nurse and took two classes in Animal Nutrition. I have used the software to create a balanced diet for livestock in class but choose to feed a good quality commercial feed for all of my animals because the risk of not meeting their basic needs is too great. I suggest you contact a Veterinary Nutritionist who can help you create a diet ration that meets all of the minimum needs.

I'd like to hit on one thing.
There is no such thing as a "Natural" Diet when it comes to chickens.
There are no "Wild" chickens, chickens are a man made fowl that we created from breeding different types of Jungle from different regions for eggs and sport.
The best thing to feed them as a main feed is a good pre bagged feed.
Au Contraire, there are many breeds of wild chickens in the world, look no further than the Prairie Chicken out in Nebraska. People will try to differentiate and say a grouse isn't a chicken but it's just a easy to argue that all chickens are grouse.

You can safely say that the "refined, overbred chickens" sold today can no longer survive in the natural environment.

I for one feed my birds a mix of scratch, wild bird seed and pellets in the winter with table scraps, sprouts and chicken cakes to supplement. Baked egg shells for calcium.
In the summer they have the run of the yard and will ignore any feed to get out and hunt bugs and new sprouts.

Factory food? About as soon as I'd raise my kids on store bought mac and cheese only...

Why do you want to feed then sprouts as a main food source? Even it was a healthy sustainable diet you would have to sprout loads of them to keep up daily feeding.
You are correct, chickens are omnivores and require a variety of foods to be healthy.

On the same note sprouts are a cheap and easy supplement you can give them during the hardest months of winter. A flock of twelve can go through a cookie sheet full of sprouts a day.
At the same time a 50lb bag of organic wheat will only set you back about $40 and after that it's just time, warmth and moisture.

Some food benefits simply cannot be filled by factory processed, lowest-cost food.

Last edited:
As many have told you in the above, point blank, no. Feed them the diet that was made to feed them. You can not replicate this. You are going to simply kill your birds by not feeding them properly. If you are so concerned about their diet, then invest the money in the organic feeds that are available to you. If you can not bear the thought of feeding them the pellets that they need to be healthy and survive, then give them away to someone that will.

Do not continue to fill them up on sprouts and other things they should not be eating. You are making them sick by preventing them from eating the proper food by filling them up on these things. If you are determined to feed them sprouts, then do so at the end of the day after they have had a chance to fill up on the pellets which is their proper diet.

You don't have to purchase mass produced feed. Many people feed "sprouted grains", but they also feed vegetable and meat scraps. Chickens are omnivores. They naturally eat protein in the form of worms, bugs, frogs, mice, lizzards to supplement any greens and grains they eat.

Back
Top Bottom