Feeding chickens only sprouts

The science behind what goes into chicken feed is sound.
The necessary components to make a balanced feed just are not readily available to the average small flock keeper. Then there is the mixing in correct proportions and ability to store vast quantities of the mixture. Then there is nutrient degradation that happens and renders that expense and effort pointless at best and potentially deadly to the birds if spoilage occurs.

Just not worth the hassle, cost and risks. Best stick to a formulated commercial feed.

Chickens in the wild move around A LOT finding the things they need and guaranteed it is a lot more than sprouts.
Chickens in the wild also do not lay regularly like all our domesticated birds are bred to. That breeding means dietary needs have changed.
Like what else could I give them, maybe other kinds of plants ? I’ve seen many people say that their chickens eat a diet mainly consisting of plants

Yes and supplementing whatever else I needed, I figured that’s I could sprout things that would be high protein as well like lentils and other things like that, trust me I’m not just gonna throw some sprouts in there and leave them I understand that they have needs and that was kinda the point of the question and I also thought that is what this website was for was questions, if I it’s too much to ask then sorry
This is a great website for questions, and we've answered your question several times. However, you're refusing to accept our answer to the question.

Just some friendly advice here: you came to this forum asking advice. You've been given good advice for your birds and it doesn't seem to be what you wanted to hear. I get it.

But you probably shouldn't strike out at those who are willing to help you.

I agree.

To the OP:

I know that you want to do what is best for your chickens, but my advice to you is to listen to the more experienced people here that are trying to help you right now. :) If you really love your chickens I trust you will do what is best for them, which is feeding them a complete diet of layer pellets. But you could also give them sprouts as well. :) As an extra treat a few times a week!

a simple yes or no
This is a great website for questions, and we've answered your question several times. However, you're refusing to accept our answer to the question.
no I do accept it I’m just asking maybe what could I give them to complete their diet if that wouldn’t be enough but no one seems to know the answer to that

I asked a question of if I could feed them sprouts and supplement anything else they needed if that would work, I’m not interested in a class I just wanna know what else I could supplement with it, I want mine organic and fed a more natural diet it’s a waste to buy organic feed, it was just a simple question
This isn't what you said but now that you are saying it you should know that it will cost you wayyyy more money to try to make your own balanced feed for your birds.
Way more than buying a bag of organic feed.

a simple yes or no

no I do accept it I’m just asking maybe what could I give them to complete their diet if that wouldn’t be enough but no one seems to know the answer to that
It's not that simple.

a simple yes or no

NatJ gave you a pretty good answer. If you don't like that answer, you'll have to do extensive research on how much of each nutrient, protein, etc a chicken needs per day, then pick stuff that's 'natural' enough for you that fits that diet. You'll also have to figure out how to make sure that each chicken is getting the exact right balance of different things, and isn't picking things out or eating way more than they're supposed to.

Like what else could I give them, maybe other kinds of plants ?
In addition to several kinds of sprouts, they would need a properly balanced set of meat or insect foods, and a source of calcium, and probably a vitamin & mineral supplement. I do not know enough of the specifics to figure it out correctly.

I’ve seen many people say that their chickens eat a diet mainly consisting of plants

Many kinds of chicken food are made with only plant products, but that usually includes a fair amount of soybeans for protein, and some special balancing of ingredients.

If chickens are really foraging for all of their food, "most" of that food will be plants IF you measure by weight or volume. But the smaller amount of not-plants provides a very important amount of the protein and calories and vitamins and minerals. The animal part of the diet will include bugs and worms, and quite likely mice and frogs and parts of any bigger animal they find dead.

Back
Top Bottom