feeding chickens their own egg shells

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Norm2475, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Norm2475

Norm2475 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2008
    Virginia
    My girls just started laying eggs on Dec 27th. Near that time we started giving them egg shells. The egg shells were white and I know it helps with their eggs. My question is if we give them their own brown egg shells will that cause them to start eating their own eggs?

2. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    No it shouldnt. I dry them and breck them up real fine.........

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I give my chickens their own eggshells sometimes (whenI remember to) and they don't eat their eggs.

4. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Mine are all brown egg-layers, too, and I grind up their own shells for them. Actually, I sometimes even hard-boil or scramble their own eggs as a treat for them, and yet they never peck at their freshly laid eggs. Don't worry!

5. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    mine loves raw yolk i feed it to them all the time and mine dont eat there eggs well that could be because they cant see what there eating LOL! Silkies!

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:No, and you don't even have to dry them. I just pitch the empty shells out with the scraps from the kitchen. Sometimes, I get fancy and mix the crushed shells in with scrambled eggs for them, but it's not necessary. Good source of calcium for then, and mine have never eaten their own eggs unless one got broken in the coop. That's in 16 years of raising chickens.

[​IMG] you'll find other threads about feeding shells, too!

7. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I dry mine and break them up for the flock. Brown, green, white.... and egg eating hasn't been an issue.

Sometimes I don't think chickens even look at something long enough to distinguish what it is before they are scooping it up and fighting for more...lol.

Julie [​IMG]

8. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Mine follow me out to the compost pile. There's always something tasty there in addition to egg shells. I've never had a problem with an egg eater.

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I just crushed up a bunch of egg shells with some left overs I had and threw them out to the birds. I do it all the time and don't have any issues.

10. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    Over the summer when I had a surplus, I would give them the whole (cracked) egg. They've never tried to eat them....they lay and walk away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by