Feeding chickens yogurt

I make what I call "chicken salad" with yogurt. They get either shredded veggies or shredded cantaloup rind blended with plain yogurt, and they go nuts over it. (I actually tried some of the veggie yogurt salad, one day, and ended up serving some with our (human) dinner, that night! The chickens had to share their dinner with us! LOL!)

But they also go gah gah just over yogurt in a dish. But it gets very messy! Yogurt flying all over, then them trying to pick it off each other!

Our flock will eat yogurt on top of their feed, with fruits mixed in it, with crushed garlic and tomatoes in it, from a separate bowl.. or off a spoon. They LOVE yogurt!
lol.png

Ok, so I've read on this forum not to give chicks calcium, so why is it OK to give them yogurt?

BTW: Hilarious post of Rooster with yogurt face
yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
I think the answer is that chicks don't need concentrated calcium, because they're not laying yet.

The main benefit of yogurt is the probiotics that help chicken's digestive system. And the calcium in it is not as concentrated as the calcium in oyster shell or other supplements.

Back
Top Bottom