Feeding chicks & layers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DreadedMoonMama, Jan 29, 2012.

1. DreadedMoonMama

DreadedMoonMama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    So I have 4 brand new chicks that hatched this week. I also have 13 layers and 4 roosters. I have a "chicken share" with some friends of mine - technically I own half the birds, they each own a quarter. We split feed costs and eggs accordingly. What I'm trying to figure out is how to feed the chicks and adults separately. I read that it can be harmful to the chicks to eat the layer feed. But how do I go about keeping them out of it? Will putting it up high work (as in, once they're big enough to reach it they'd be old enough to eat it?). And then really I should keep the adults out of the chick feed (esp since it's more expensive) but I'm not sure how to do that, either. But I need to figure it out because I need to put in a feed order and I need to tell the other ladies how much they owe me for feed.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

This gets asked here almost every day. It's simple really. Only the laying hens need the calcium, so provide the calcium apart from the feed, in a dish of shells. The chicks won't really mess with it.
    Feed the whole flock something they all can eat. Grower, Starter, All Flock, Flock Raiser.

You are right not to feed chicks highly fortified calcium layer feed. Good for you.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Ditto this. Purina makes a Flock Raiser feed that is widely available. That plus oyster shell on the side was what I used until my pullets were all laying. Ask at your feed store if you don't see it -- many stores will order a product they don't normally carry if it's requested.

4. DreadedMoonMama

DreadedMoonMama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    My issue is we have to do soy-free, which is expensive enough as it is, but the starter and grower feeds are even more expensive than the layer. :(

5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Yep, I too have two adult hens and three 8-week old babies and all are on Nutrena Grower/Finisher until the babies start to lay.

If you have to do soy-free, then I would just bite the bullet and pay the extra. It's only for a short period of time. Once those young ones start to lay, they can all go back on the layer rations. So for me, that's about 3 months time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by