Feeding chicks

And about the material they running on, is bare soil okay ? or should I use pine shavings. I don't have pine shavings at the moment but I can easily make with a hand planer . I am afraid they might eat it or the finer particles .
Alternatively could I put them in a "chicken tractor" on my lawn?

Are they with a mother hen?
If not I would keep a heat source with them. I don't know what your area weather and temperature is right now.

Here we are going into winter.

And about the material they running on, is bare soil okay ? or should I use pine shavings. I don't have pine shavings at the moment but I can easily make with a hand planer . I am afraid they might eat it or the finer particles .
Alternatively could I put them in a "chicken tractor" on my lawn?

As chicks they still need a small enclosure with a heat source. At 0 hours to one week old, temps need to be around 92-95 degrees. Do you mean a dirt floor for when they are outside? Or a dirt floor for inside their coop? For outside, I can’t answer that as I let my chickens free range. I am building a 400sq foot enclosure for them that will be dirt however. I just haven’t finished that project! A chicken tractor is okay too as long as they have a safe place to be at night.

Are they with a mother hen?
If not I would keep a heat source with them. I don't know what your area weather and temperature is right now.

Here we are going into winter.
Yes , they are with the mother hen, but I am building a brooder in case anything goes wrong . Currently I am going into summer , average temperature indoors is above 20° C, which is 68 Fahrenheit

As chicks they still need a small enclosure with a heat source. At 0 hours to one week old, temps need to be around 92-95 degrees. Do you mean a dirt floor for when they are outside? Or a dirt floor for inside their coop? For outside, I can’t answer that as I let my chickens free range. I am building a 400sq foot enclosure for them that will be dirt however. I just haven’t finished that project! A chicken tractor is okay too as long as they have a safe place to be at night.
Dirt floor in the run (protected area surrounding coop) which is directly outside their coop .

Yes , they are with the mother hen, but I am building a brooder in case anything goes wrong . Currently I am going into summer , average temperature indoors is above 20° C, which is 68 Fahrenheit

Being with a mom they have a mobile heat source! That is wonderful!

If you use a brooder they will need a heat source of course.

Dirt floor in the run (protected area surrounding coop) which is directly outside their coop .

IMO best to have some sort of litter in the run, to help manage mud and poop load, however it really depends on your specific climate and set up how important that is. For me, bare dirt = stinky mud pit, but maybe you don't get as much rain as I do, or have a larger run that doesn't get as scratched up, etc.

Back
Top Bottom