Feeding Confusion!!

newchickmom

Songster
12 Years
Nov 8, 2007
Lafayette, Indiana
I am getting chicks from our Rural King today. I am getting 25 MEAT BIRDS, a couple of ducks and a few turkeys. They will all be housed seperatly.
What do I feed the meat birds the first couple of weeks? How much should they get per bird per day? How much and when do I increase their feed?
What do I feed the baby turkeys and ducks? I don't trust advice from the people at Rural King. I have just heard too many different things.
Can anyone help me?

Last edited:

chicmom

Dances with Chickens
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Strasburg Ohio
Well, for chicks, you can feed them either medicated chick starter or regular chick starter. If you choose the medicated, that is for the first two weeks of feeding--also, ducks should not have medicated because it's bad for them.

Now, I buy Dumor products, and they have a chick starter/grower that you can feed from day one up until the pullets start laying eggs.

Also, they say you don't need grit if you're feeding crumbles, but I always supply my chicks with chick grit too. I just sprinkle some into their food each time refill the food dishes....kinda like sprinkling salt.

I'm sorry but I don't know what to feed ducks and turkeys. I learned alot just by reading the labels, which is exactly what I'd do in your case.

Good luck to you! Hope everything goes just great for you!

Sharon

catdaddy66

Songster
10 Years
Nov 18, 2009
Lugoff, SC
I know that meat birds need high protein to build up muscle, something like 22% or more protein content. They need access to food 24/7 (and water!).

Top Bottom