1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding cooked egg yolks.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TheHenHen, Jan 14, 2014.

1. TheHenHen

TheHenHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2012
    Canada Amaranth
    Hello,

My dad eats a lot of eggs everyday, but he has to cut out the yolks from his diet. Is it safe to feed these to the chickens on a daily basis? We have about 20 chickens, and they would be sharing six cooked yolks a day.

I'm wondering if continually eating the yolks will have the same effect on the chickens as it does on humans (high cholesterol).

Thanks
    TheHenHen

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I can't imagine an average of 1/3 of an egg yolk every day harming your birds. If you're worried it's too much, give some to the cats. They'll love it!

3. Jipus5

Jipus5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Minden Louisiana
    I looked it up, and vets say yes, they CAN eat it! It is a wonderful protein. It is recommended to maybe add other things...ground up raw cabbage, the egg shells ground up with milk or water in a blender, leftovers, tomatoes, any veges really... stir in a bowl and serve! They will enjoy the treat and you will know they are getting more than just that yolk. You COULD freeze raw yolks and cook at a later date as well so it wouldn't be a daily thing. Just an idea.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by