Feeding Cornish X

Lisa Foss

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 6, 2010
Marilla, NY
I raised cornish x last year for the 1st time. When I took them to the processor, he said I should have fed them more, a lot more. They were 3-4 lbs each after 10 weeks. I fed them 2 x a day and thought I was generous. I fed 20% protein chick starter/grower to them for the entire time. I went through 50 lbs every 2 weeks for 25 birds. How much should I be feeding them? Should they have access to food 24/7? I was afraid to feed them too much for fear their legs would break.

Thanks,
Lisa Foss
Marilla, NY

Quote:
After the first couple/few weeks I take the feed away from them at night. 12 on, 12 off. I also use higher protein. I will have to look at my slips but I think the mill was giving me 24% last year. When I had Turkeys, I fed my Cornish and Turks 28% gamebird feed.

3 pounders.... hmmm. I guess you could say you wanted cornish game hens
wink.png

50 lbs every two weeks sounds fine at a few weeks old, but by week 10 you should go through alot more. ALOT MORE! I don't have my notes with me at work. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

I just read your reply to Meat Bird Coop and noticed you're raising on wire. I wonder if that may be a contributing factor. Do you have a picture of the cage or at least give us the dimensions???

The cages are 2ft wide x 2 ft high 8 ft long. I put 15 birds in the cage. there is no wire on the bottom. They are on the ground to scratch. The wire is only on the sides and top. I use particle board with a rock on top to keep the cages from blowing over. It's very windy where I live all the time.

Quote:
Here is what I read:

I really don't have a coop. My husband made cages using 1X2s and chicken wire. The cages are 2ft x 2ft x 8ft. They hold 15 chickens each. They are very light and easy to store for next year. I put a piece of particle board over the top with a rock on it to keep the wind from turning the cage over and to provide shade for the birds. I only keep mine for 10 weeks for each batch. I usually do 3 batches through the summer.

When you said cages, I literally thought of cages with wire 360 degrees. Sorry.

You mention 3 batches in the last sentence. All 3 batches averaged 3-4 lbs.???​

yes, I got my first group of 25 in early May, sent them at the end of June. 2nd group came in early June and sent them end of July. 3rd group came early July and sent them end of August. The heaviest bird was 4.25 lbs. I probably only had 3 of those out of batches. I couldn't find anything about how much to feed them, just about the legs breaking if they are fed too much or too much protein. I really appreciate your replies. I can use all the help I can get.

This is what Jaku wrote the other day: (if you search a few pages you'll find a ton of info, but I will help ya out for now)

I feed regular broiler feed the entire 8 weeks. Broiler feed is usually 20-22% protein. Chick starter doesn't have the nutrients they need, and with only 8 weeks of life, there's really no point changing feed. Plus, if you get your whole batch of feed in bulk and have it ground at a mill, instead of buying it prebagged, you'll save about 50% in total feed cost. For every 25 birds you have, plan 500 pounds of feed.

So according to this, you only fed 1/2 the amount you should have.​

Thank you so much. I changed where I get my feed from tractor supply to a local grain mill. That already has saved me boat loads. I raise sheep and cattle too. I can get all my animal feed from this one mill. I am putting this into my "Chicken Folder" for further reference!
Have a great day and thanks again!

-Lisa
big_smile.png

Yeah, you definitely underfed them- I feed all they can eat in a roughly 12 hour period after the first 2 weeks. To give some comparisons, my birds dress out at 6-7 lbs at 8 weeks. Although I do 75 birds at a time, I go through about 55-65lbs of food every DAY when they're near the end. The leg problems are overstated, although I mix Broiler Booster from McMurray in with my feed. With my feeding schedule and all other things considered, I think I lost 2 or 3 of my last 75, which isn't any worse ratio than I've had with layers.

Jaku,

Thanks for all the information. It is very valuable to me, not just from a feeding standpoint of the birds, but for supply as well. I can now plan my feed purchases from the mill with this info.

-Lisa

Back
Top Bottom