Feeding dead yellow jackets to chickens?

We don't get bees in the traps. The bait is meat and it attract yellow jackets, not honey bees. While we currently do not seem to suffer from hive collapse, I am an avid gardener and my friends keep honey bees--so I also would not do anything that would endanger them. The traps I am talking about are yellow cone sort of things--most home improvement stores as well as all the farm stores around here have them stacked to the ceiling all summer long. There is an attractant tube that comes with them--smells like old road kill--but we have the best success just putting a little left over whatever meat we have for dinner. The traps fill up in a couple days, or daily, depending on the time of summer and the chickens love them.

Our turkeys love eating scorpions. It appears they are getting stung repeatedly in the process, but they don't seem to mind at all. They just gobble them up. It's pretty awesome to watch.

I feed yellow jackets to my chickens, they never seem to get stung. when the chicks see me swing the flyswatter they come running. They catch them before they can fly off. I accidentally pulled my chicken tractor over a yellow jacket nest, by the time I figured it out the chicks were feasting on the swarming bees. In a few days they had the nest scratched up and a hole about 18" deep.

The water traps work well. We just make our own traps.

Take a plastic pop bottle.
Cut off the top where the cone is.
Put a piece of apple in the bottle.
Place the cone inverted in the bottle.
Tape the cone into place.
Place the bottle nearby to a hornet, wasp, or yellowjacket nest and let nature do the rest.

We had a wasp nest pop up in our hen house earlier this summer............ I pity the wasps.

Quote:
No honey bee that I know of is native to anywhere in the "new" world. There all imports from the "old" world. Nature in the U. S. can do without them just fine, its us an our addiction to honey that don't think we can do without them.

Back
Top Bottom