Feeding Different Aged Birds

I skip all that age-and-gender stuff. When I get chicks I buy one really small bag of Chick Starter. I do that only because of the size of the crumbles - small and easy to learn to eat for them. When that bag is about gone, I toss a couple of scoops of All Flock or Grower in the bag and shake it to mix it, then feed that to transition them to what the rest of the flock eats. Since my chicks are mingling most of the day with the Bigs by 3 weeks old, and fully integrated with the adults by 4 weeks old, they’re going to be eating from the adult’s feeder anyway so they may as well just eat what they eat from the get-go.

My mixed flock does super well on either All Flock or Grower, whichever my local feed store has in stock or whichever one has the best freshness date. That’s roosters, layers, chicks and freeloaders all eating the same food. I provide oyster shell in a separate container for the layers. Sure, as @Ol Grey Mare says, the chicks will peck at it sometimes, as do the roos and freeloaders, but a few nibbles and they are over it. They aren’t gonna keel over dead because of a few oyster shells. The layers take what they need. I’ve done this for all the years I’ve had chickens, and there is absolutely no difference in the quality of the egg or eggshells, and they all do just fine. I like my life - and theirs - to be as simplified as possible. Can’t keep ‘em out of each other’s feeders anyway, so I just go with it.

I have three different age groups, ranging from eight months to six years. I just get Flock Raiser for everyone and have a container of oyster shells on the side. Not sure if you have that kind in Aust, but mine is 18% and seems like everyone does fine.

Is this feed appropriate for laying hens, given I’m supplementing with oyster shell?

Attachments

• 0A807A80-7D1C-4D48-A0AA-A2F703DF7DB6.jpeg
    0A807A80-7D1C-4D48-A0AA-A2F703DF7DB6.jpeg
    524.3 KB · Views: 11
I skip all that age-and-gender stuff. When I get chicks I buy one really small bag of Chick Starter. I do that only because of the size of the crumbles - small and easy to learn to eat for them. When that bag is about gone, I toss a couple of scoops of All Flock or Grower in the bag and shake it to mix it, then feed that to transition them to what the rest of the flock eats. Since my chicks are mingling most of the day with the Bigs by 3 weeks old, and fully integrated with the adults by 4 weeks old, they’re going to be eating from the adult’s feeder anyway so they may as well just eat what they eat from the get-go.

My mixed flock does super well on either All Flock or Grower, whichever my local feed store has in stock or whichever one has the best freshness date. That’s roosters, layers, chicks and freeloaders all eating the same food. I provide oyster shell in a separate container for the layers. Sure, as @Ol Grey Mare says, the chicks will peck at it sometimes, as do the roos and freeloaders, but a few nibbles and they are over it. They aren’t gonna keel over dead because of a few oyster shells. The layers take what they need. I’ve done this for all the years I’ve had chickens, and there is absolutely no difference in the quality of the egg or eggshells, and they all do just fine. I like my life - and theirs - to be as simplified as possible. Can’t keep ‘em out of each other’s feeders anyway, so I just go with it.
Are those young chicks with a hen to keep them warm? That wouldn't work when incubating which I haven't done yet but will be.

Your life and chicks' sounds blissfully simple! Enjoy!

No they're not.
My first Flock feather picked when I switched from 18% Protein to a 16% layers feed. After 3 bags and Pinless peepers, I switched back to a 18% feed and everybody is happy.
When I only had 3 Hens I bought the Purina Start and Grow, because they have a 25 pound bag at TSC.
Now I have 10 chickens so I buy either of the other 2 in a 50 pound bag, Whichever is fresher or available. GC
I bought a 20kg bag of chick starter today because at 20% it was the only one with greater protein for both the pullets and feather pecker. However, it was $2 dearer than Classic Hen which is only 17% protein. I'll try this till babies are 16 weeks and hopefully feather pecking has stopped also. I've had to lock the feather peckers up individually which I hate to do but sometimes we have to be cruel to be kind. The worst one that was pecked is finally growing some pin feathers on her back and wings but her head still looks sad. Hopefully all will come good soon! This girl is barely eating or drinking which worries me so hoping she likes the chick starter as that amount of protein should really help with the feather rejuvenation.

Many thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom