Feeding dog food to molting chickens?

rocking2r

In the Brooder
May 21, 2020
You suggest feeding dog food to molting chickens to increase their protein intake. I assume your mean dry kibble, but does anyone have a suggestion as to how much to feed, or what brand?

You suggest feeding dog food to molting chickens to increase their protein intake. I assume your mean dry kibble, but does anyone have a suggestion as to how much to feed, or what brand?
In backyard chickens.com in an article about how to help molting chickens, this is written, “ Besides the normal chicken feed, you should provide foods with extra protein such as: oatmeal, quinoa, scrambled or hard boiled eggs, meat scraps, corn, peas, dry dog or cat food, tuna fish, black oil sunflower seeds and soybean meal.”

In backyard chickens.com in an article about how to help molting chickens, this is written, “ Besides the normal chicken feed, you should provide foods with extra protein such as: oatmeal, quinoa, scrambled or hard boiled eggs, meat scraps, corn, peas, dry dog or cat food, tuna fish, black oil sunflower seeds and soybean meal.”
Unless you soaked it into mush or ground it up, wouldn't the chickens choke on the large pieces?

I like Diamond small breed puppy, 32%. Very small kibble.

For maintenance and molt, 5% /.5 part is good to raise the protein a bit without giving them too much protein or fat. I use a 10 part feed mix. 1 part is a 3 quart scoop, so .5 is a 1.5 quart scoop. For example, just to show what I mean:

5 parts laying pellets
2 parts corn
2 parts wheat
.5 part sunflower
.5 dog food

What brand cat food do you use? I'm thinking that it should be a fairly small kibble

I like Diamond small breed puppy, 32%. Very small kibble.

For maintenance and molt, 5% /.5 part is good to raise the protein a bit without giving them too much protein or fat. I use a 10 part feed mix. 1 part is a 3 quart scoop, so .5 is a 1.5 quart scoop. For example, just to show what I mean:

5 parts laying pellets
2 parts corn
2 parts wheat
.5 part sunflower
.5 dog food

Back
Top Bottom