Feeding dog food to molting chickens?

I like Diamond small breed puppy, 32%. Very small kibble.

For maintenance and molt, 5% /.5 part is good to raise the protein a bit without giving them too much protein or fat. I use a 10 part feed mix. 1 part is a 3 quart scoop, so .5 is a 1.5 quart scoop. For example, just to show what I mean:

5 parts laying pellets
2 parts corn
2 parts wheat
.5 part sunflower
.5 dog food
I, and my dogs, go out of our way to deny the chickens of the exact same brand of dog feed. The chickens if left to their devices can eat half a 40-lb bag in a day. Too expensive.

My adult standard sized chickens can eat the adult dog pellets dry from bag.

Catfish feed might be worth considering.

What is the reasoning for this instead of chick feed or grower?

When the chick feed or grower has all the needed nutrients in the needed proportions. And costs less.
40 lb bag of high protein dog / puppy food is 12 bucks and at my local feed store a 10 lb bag of chick feed cost the same

Hm, Different regions = different options, maybe. I spent $40 for 30 pound bags of dog food when I had a dog a few years ago. Pretty sure it hasn't gone down. Since it was a few years ago and I fed Blue Mountain salmon, I checked Chewy - it seems $25 for 46 pounds of Purina One.

Vs $12 for 25 pounds of chick feed at the feed mill - maybe not price the chick feed in 10 pound bags?

Last edited:
Hm, Different regions = different options, maybe. I spent $40 for 30 pound bags of dog food when I had a dog a few years ago. Pretty sure it hasn't gone down. Since it was a few years ago and I fed Blue Mountain, I checked Chewy - it seems $25 for 46 pounds of Purina One.

Vs $12 for 25 pounds of chick feed at the feed mill - maybe not price the chick feed in 10 pound bags?
I think it does have to do with the region, it's real cheap to get dog food but a bit more for chick food 🤔

I think it does have to do with the region, it's real cheap to get dog food but a bit more for chick food 🤔
Yea, I would agree with the region changing this. I can get like 80 pounds of chick food for the same price as 30 pounds of dog food, or even worse, like 15 pounds of cat food.

Now this is worth mentioning, a 10 pound bag of chick food is like 80% of the price of a 40 pound. Prices are just all over the place out here.

Back
Top Bottom