Feeding Ducks & Chicks Together

seachainanmadra

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Hello! I am a new member, and am raising my first small flock. I currently have six chicks and two Swedish ducks that are living together in a large brooder (12 sq. ft. total). Because they are housed together and eating the same food & water, I want to be sure that the needs of each species are met. I've googled, and just haven't found consistent answers that I'm comfortable with with regard to the best food to choose.

I've had them for about a week and have been feeding an unmedicated mixed poultry starter (it's the second item shown on this page). I can't figure out whether it contains the niacin the ducks need. One of my ducklings walks a little differently than the other and seems to lay down more frequently, so I want to be sure her legs are developing properly. I did find a feed store nearby that sells duck grower pellets in bulk, but I couldn't get any information on the brand or nutritional content.

Since feeding the ducks & chicks separately is not an option right now, what would be the best way for me to be sure that the ducks are receiving the proper amount of niacin? Should I feed the duck pellets exclusively, or the poultry starter exclusively, or should I mix the two? Should I be adding niacin in their water instead? Will niacin or duck pellets be harmful for the chicks?

Thank you for any help you can provide! This forum has been an excellent resource and it's definitely the first place I look for information on my flock.

Hello! I am a new member, and am raising my first small flock. I currently have six chicks and two Swedish ducks that are living together in a large brooder (12 sq. ft. total). Because they are housed together and eating the same food & water, I want to be sure that the needs of each species are met. I've googled, and just haven't found consistent answers that I'm comfortable with with regard to the best food to choose.

I've had them for about a week and have been feeding an unmedicated mixed poultry starter (it's the second item shown on this page). I can't figure out whether it contains the niacin the ducks need. One of my ducklings walks a little differently than the other and seems to lay down more frequently, so I want to be sure her legs are developing properly. I did find a feed store nearby that sells duck grower pellets in bulk, but I couldn't get any information on the brand or nutritional content.

Since feeding the ducks & chicks separately is not an option right now, what would be the best way for me to be sure that the ducks are receiving the proper amount of niacin? Should I feed the duck pellets exclusively, or the poultry starter exclusively, or should I mix the two? Should I be adding niacin in their water instead? Will niacin or duck pellets be harmful for the chicks?

Thank you for any help you can provide! This forum has been an excellent resource and it's definitely the first place I look for information on my flock.
Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
it says on the bag it is formulated for mixed flocks so I would say it probably has enough niacin in it for the ducklings. what does it say on the bag as far as amounts of niacin[B3}? I use Purina flock raiser crumble for all my flock including the babies [chicks and ducklings] and don't supplement with Niacin.

Thank you for your reply! The bag doesn't say anything about Niacin or B3, unless there's some other name it might be listed under.

Thank you for your reply! The bag doesn't say anything about Niacin or B3, unless there's some other name it might be listed un
Then maybe get some nutritional yeast or brewers yeast and sprinkle some over top of the feed I think this would be safe to use for both ducklings and chicks. When I had a lone duckling inside I used Brewers yeast on his feed daily till he was 10 weeks old. only because he didn't have a mama to follow around and make sure he was getting adequate amounts of what he needed. Another thing you can do is contact the company and ask them there should be an email add or phone # on the bag.

Back
Top Bottom