feeding ducks

joannec328

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
How much and how often should I feed my 6 ducks crumble? They free range for most of the day and i give them fruits and veggies as treats, but im not sure if i am overfeeding them the crumble..i give them about 6 cups in the morning and 6 cups in the evening before they are put up for the night .

I could be wrong but Im not sure if you can overfeed them...? I havent had a problem with mine yet. And I just dump out a guesstimated amount of cracked corn or crumble to feed between my ducks and chickens. All of them free range. No one looks under or overfed

I don't think you can really over feed them. I had a few ducks years ago and we just left a huge feeder full of feed out there for them at all times. They were never "fat" birds. I do the same now with my chickens. I don't even limit my broilers like some people tend to do.

my husband thinks i am overfeeding them because they are huge...but they are Giant Pekin ducks..also how old before they start laying eggs?? Mine are 5 months old..i have 3 boys and 3 girls..will they sit on just one egg? or wait until they have a bunch?

Umm Pekins are LARGE so youre probably good. As for sitting eggs they will lay about a weeks worth before they will sit on them full time. Because what would be the point of a bunch hatching over a week or more time when you can just save them up and have them hatch around the same day. Mine laid 12 and hatched them all over a period of 2 days. Most on the first day but 2 on the the second day. As for laying... I cant remember when my girls started laying. But they didnt get broody until they were close to around a year old. It was also their first mature aged summer so I dont know if that had something to do with it. Or the fact that I had just brought in baby chickens and just like humans they went "Awww! I want one!" LOL

Also FYI Let your hubby know that Pekins are large because they are bred to be large. They are mainly bred for meat. Mine was for a pet
smile.png
They dont lay a large number of eggs but they have huge personalities to go with those big ol bodies
wink.png

I feed ducks as little as possible. One 1/2 gallon scoop of whole shelled corn for 35 or 40 LARGE Muscovies once a day. This way they are forced to forage for themselves across the yard, garden and field.

It saves money, rids the yard of bugs, and rids the garden of weeds/bugs. It is both economical and practical.

Forgot to add, my Muscovies (particularly my Chocolates) are consider to be some of the best in the US. I raise Paul Witt's Chocolates. My Silvers, Blues, and Blacks aren't bad either.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree 100%
I would hate to think what those big Muscovies Drakes that I have here would eat if I would full feed them.

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom