1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding egg shells

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Delmar, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

I saw a guy mention the other day that he feeds his layers egg shell. This makes so much sense to me as a way of getting the calcium the birds need to make shells back into the birds. It did, however, make me wonder what precautions need to be taken. I assume they would either need to be rinsed really well, to get the egg white off, or microwaved long enough to cook any egg residue. What else? Run them through a coffee grinder so they are not recognizable as egg shells? I would hate to remind the chickens that eggs are yummy!

2. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I just throw my egg shells in the scrap bucket, I dont rinse them or cook them and then trow it all into the coop. There are some on here that will say you have to do both. I feel as thou its each to their own.

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:I'm with him ^
    Mine just get dried & crushed before feeding.

4. algopurple

algopurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Ripley TN
    I am sure I will be told that this is wrong and I shouldn't do it but I always just throw the shells in the chicken run minutes after the eggs are cracked for cooking. The chickens have never gotten sick and in 6 years, have never figured out what it is they are eating. Even when an egg gets broken in the nest box, they only eat that one egg and don't bother the others. At least that's how it seems since production is never down.

5. Jx2inNC

Jx2inNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Caraway, NC
    Quote:Same here. Cracked egg in the pen gets splattered on the ground for them to fight over. But they still don't crack open good eggs even though they see me do it.

6. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:X2

7. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I dry them out and crush them up although I'm not sure you really have to. Like everybody else, I've seen mine cleaning up broken eggs but they haven't actually started doing it intentionally.

8. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Do they pretty much clean the egg shells up completely, when you just throw them in the run?

9. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    I Microwave The Egg Shells & Crush Them Up In A Paper Towel. I Clean Up A Broken Egg As Soon As Possible. Seems If I Leave A Broken Raw Egg In The Pen I Find More Broken Eggs The Next Day.

10. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:Crush the shells and mix them in their feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by