Feeding Eggshells

I just save the egg shells & crush them after they are dried & store in an air-tight container. No washing, sterilizing, nothing. They are crushed to very small pieces & mixed in with their food periodically. Never had an egg-eater because of this or any other reason.

I do feed back the eggs shells to my hens regularly as they are freeranging and eat a lot of low calcium foods.

BUT the shells are cooked in the microwave to kill any bacteria like salmonella. I do not want salmonella in my flock so I always heat the shells. I used to use the oven, but with the suggestion of another BYC person, now use the microwave. I place them on a glass pie plate, heat, crush when I have time and dump in a pan outside. Easy.

BUT the shells are cooked in the microwave to kill any bacteria like salmonella.

I do not want salmonella in my flock so I always heat the shells

If there is Salmonella in the eggs, it CAME from your chickens

Quote:
Amen, sister! I've been preachin' this for some time and folks still can't seem to get it and will pass on that old saw about egg eaters every time. Been feeding eggs and shells back to chickens since I was 10...35 years now...and not one egg eater in my flocks. Imagine that.

Please...this should be a sticky so that all newbies will get over this fear of feeding egg shells back to their birds.

I have a few in a bowl that I washed out. I will collect them for a few more days, we dont eat many now cause they are from the store.
hu.gif

I save my duck egg and chicken egg shells in the freezer and toaste in oven and crush and feed to the chickens and ducks.. ducks aren't laying right now but the chickens are.. I have a gallon bag saved up again so its time to toast them next time I'm baking...

I put my shells back in the carton and under the kitchen sink until they dry, never wash or bake them, then when I have a couple dozen dried I put them in the blender until they are very fine pieces and mix them in with some plain yogurt and give that to the chickens sometimes with oatmeal mixed in.

Quote:
Amen, sister! I've been preachin' this for some time and folks still can't seem to get it and will pass on that old saw about egg eaters every time. Been feeding eggs and shells back to chickens since I was 10...35 years now...and not one egg eater in my flocks. Imagine that.

Please...this should be a sticky so that all newbies will get over this fear of feeding egg shells back to their birds.

Now this is wisdom to take to the bank! Thank you! Seems a lot of folks make it harder than it is and it's your shared knowledge that needs to keep being repeated!

Back
Top Bottom