feeding extra milk to chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BeardedChick, Apr 12, 2009.

1. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I have extra milk now that my goat has freshened. What is the easiest way to give some to my chickens? Can I just let it clabber overnight or should I make it into yogurt first??

2. BeardedChick

Well, that went fast. I clabbered it on the stove with some vinegar and fed the chickens the curds. It went REALLY fast!

3. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Milk is very good ffor chickens
    I use a recipe for using milk
    Wet mash
    use 1 gallon of dry chicken crumbles
    2 gallon of milk either raw or sour ( to make sour use 3 tbsp of apple cider vineger
    1/2 cup of yoguart
    feed this weekly 3 tbsp per large fowl chicken
    can be fed to chicks weekly after they are 3 weeks old
    milk is very healthy and good for chickens
    in olden days we used to soak whole oats with milk
    mix 1 gallon of whole oats
    2 gallon of milk
    soak over night and if needed add more milk
    feed to chickensw in feeder
    clean feeder after they eat them all
    ALWAYS feed granite grit with whole grains or any grains

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We always fed left over milk to our chickens when I was a kid. We'd put the mash in the long galvanized feeder and then wet it with milk. The chickens would have it cleaned up right away and then we'd rinse out the feeder. I think the eggs tasted better.[​IMG]

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I used to have access to lots of surplus milk. I made "animal cheese" for the critters - dogs, cats, and chickens.

The milk would go in a shallow pan in the morning and I'd stir in a rennet tablet. Take the simplest recipe from the Junket webpage and follow that, if you want to try it.

. . . then take a recipe that looks like it would be especially tasty and make some "good stuff" (like Mom used to [​IMG]) for the people in the household!

For my "animal cheese," after sitting for about 8 hours at room temperature, I would slice it up with a knife, let it sit another hour or so, stir gently, let it sit again, then pour off the whey. The curds that were left were very happily eaten by the chickens.

And, the hens turned that extra milk into eggs [​IMG].

Steve

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Get you some Kefir grains. They love that stuff!

7. BeardedChick

Oooh, I'm trying that milk soaked oats recipe next... & Rennet cheese. The chickens got a big batch of kurds again this morning.

The wonderful goat is making ~1 gallon per day, people are drinking about a quart.

I need a piglet to feed!!

8. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Quote:My dairy goat raising neighbors and I are jointly raising our 2nd batch of Cornish X chicks AND 3 piggies on their surplus goat milk. My laying hens and our first batch of Cornish did very well on just plain goat milk. Just about every evening I put milk down for the Cornish when I take up their food for the evening. The milk is usually gone in a matter of minutes.

9. BeardedChick

Quote:My dairy goat raising neighbors and I are jointly raising our 2nd batch of Cornish X chicks AND 3 piggies on their surplus goat milk. My laying hens and our first batch of Cornish did very well on just plain goat milk. Just about every evening I put milk down for the Cornish when I take up their food for the evening. The milk is usually gone in a matter of minutes.

Wow - how many goats are they milking??? That's a lot of pig. I have GOT to build a pig pen!

10. Smeamers

Smeamers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I have a friend that just pours it over the feed at night, lets it sit out in the house at room temp overnight and then takes it to the chickens in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by