Feeding flaxseed

flax seed is good for them because it has high omega 3 but some people say it makes the eggs taste fishy. i put in this worm guard plus in my hens feed and it contains flax seed and de but ive never noticed a fishy taste in their eggs i would only just sprinkle in a few flax seedsin the feed and make sure not to over do it

Whole works best for chickens. They can digest whole seeds. Humans and a few other animals can't so need ground flax but it loses nutrients quickly when ground. Best to use whole if you can. I'm not sure the exact amount suggested for a chicken but you can't really overfeed them on flax aside from the extremes like not allowing them any other food source. Eventually you'll get weird tasting eggs but they won't eat enough to suffer any health issues from it. You could mix some in their feed or in treats like scrambled eggs or oatmeal. Sprinkle some over any leftovers you are taking out to them. I'm not sure if they'd eat it plain but if they will you can just leave a dish of it in the coop and do some trial and error on how much they want to eat and what point the eggs taste weird. Some leave out containers of straight grains like oats for them and flaxseed could be mixed in. If I could get a big bag of it I'd do red wheat, oats, flax, and possibly a few other grains like barley. I make a similar mixture in smaller amounts for my hamsters and parakeets but I can't find many grains in bulk bags here so it's too costly for chickens.

I use Linseed It is the exact same thing as Flax but is a whole lot cheaper in price.
I can get 50 lbs of Linseed for around $20.00

Chris

Back
Top Bottom