Feeding for Darker Yolks

So I have read a few other threads on this, but my hens are pretty picky eaters. They will not eat alfalfa (soaked cubes or dried), they aren't interested in leafy greens or veggie scraps. They love their feed, which is a 17% protein mash with rolled peas in it, and have not been keen on a pelleted feed I got them in the summer. They hang out in the compost a lot, but it seems to be mostly to dig for bugs in there than to eat any scraps. They LOVE meat, fat, and soldierfly larva. In the summer they free range the yard, but we have cold snowy winters, and from December to April theres too much snow for them to enjoy the yard. Thoughts?
I use crushed chili peppers and chili powder. The yolks are a dark orange color. They don't taste the "heat" as we do.

I've used red peppers and spirulina both for this. Spirulina adds a really rich red/orange color. Turmeric has been noted to improve yolk coloration in studies, but I've never feed enough to notice.

I also have picky chickens and live in a very cold climate. In the summer they like to eat marigolds and sunflowers. In the winter, I've learned that giving them a 'treat' around mid-day helps with their egg production & yolk color. Collard greens are their fav right now, and fairly cheap at the store. I try to introduce them to one new thing at a time, and since they've learned to look forward to their mid-day 'treat' they are more likely to try it regardless of what it is!

Back
Top Bottom