Feeding for feather quality

Thank you Happymtn. Dah!
hu.gif
I feed BOSS and did not know the slang for it.
wink.png

I feed BOSS too, sort of. My sunflowers are done early this year and flopped over the fence row and the mottley crew sort of help themselves to the seed heads **lol**.

Love Faithway and buying local since I'm in Alabama.

First you have to have the genetics for good feathering then proper management will
allow the bird to develop to its fullest potential.
I don't feed BOSS because of the high fat content although a little to snack on during
cold winter months would be OK but I wouldn;t feed it routinely although I'm sure some
people do with no problems. Whole oats makes beautiful feathers.
I feed it to my geese year round in varying amounts depending on the time of year.
I don't used crimped because I think some of the nutritional value can be lost from the crimping.
Just make sure your birds have grit.

5 month old poof ball.

I get my feed from Faithway Feed in based in Guntersville, Alabama. They deliver to most of the co-ops and feed stores around here, but I am pretty sure they are just regional, so I can't really compare it to anything but other regional mills. I haven't been able to find anything like it at TSC.

This is what it looks like. It has a dusting of vitamins & minerals including extra niacin :

ETA: Thier site seems to be a work in progress, but you can find a dealer here: http://faithwayfeedco.com/

That feed looks amazing! Way better than what I have. I can see oats, corn, sunflower seeds, but what are the round brown things?

I bough sebs this year and they have been about 90% on grass and 10% feed. Now that its basically winter in Northern WI we have them on cracked corn, wheat, whole oats and prunia layena pellets. I think they look great compared to earlier honestly!

I have healither looking birds which makes me happy! But I do agree a lot as to do with genetics :)!

Cottage rose beautiful! I just love your birds :)

I bough sebs this year and they have been about 90% on grass and 10% feed. Now that its basically winter in Northern WI we have them on cracked corn, wheat, whole oats and prunia layena pellets. I think they look great compared to earlier honestly!

I have healither looking birds which makes me happy! But I do agree a lot as to do with genetics :)!

Cottage rose beautiful! I just love your birds :)

Thanks EmAbTo48
GRASS is GREAT for geese so lucky for your geese. Our grass is petering out so i will start offering hay.
With Sebastopols I think its even more crucial to feed well so they can grow their feathers to their fullest potential.

Hi, I feed a home mix of micronized grains. Peas, Barley, Maize, Wheat and Soyas to set the different protein levels, eg when they are moulting. I supplement this feed with Seaweed, Codliver Oil, Salt and Garlic grains. Since adding Garlic I have never seen a mite or any lice in five years, before which they were very troublesome.
I would appreciate any advice as I am always trying to improve. Thank you.

Sorry I was talking about chickens, I did not realise I was on a waterfowl site.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom