Feeding free range chickens

Hquin

Hatching
Sep 29, 2020
Hello! I have 3 free range roosters and currently feeding them a mix of cracked corn and an all flock crumble. I know they shouldn't have layer feed as it contains too much calcium for roosters and they don't really eat the all flock crumble very much that I get them they just peck out the cracked corn. Do I even need to feed them a "nutritional" feed when they are free range? Or would the corn be enough? I also give them some fruits and vegetables in moderation. And as a reference, the roosters are 6 month old barred rocks, we live in rural indiana and also have horses. Just for fun I attached a picture of them in their "bachelor pad" where they sleep every night. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20201028_191823.jpg
    IMG_20201028_191823.jpg
    734.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
It depends on your habitat and what you consider "free range." If they're outside 24/7 during the warm months and there's plenty of greenery and insects to eat, you can get away just supplementing them with a handful of all purpose sweet feed. You just have to actually have something for them to eat free ranging. Grass, bugs, various other plants. They'll get a lot from the dung of your other livestock.

Do you provide free choice corn all the time?
If so, I would stop feeding them corn, it should only be a treat.
My flock tends to eat less chicken feed when they are able to free range. In the winter, they will eat more just because they aren't allowed to free range.

Hello! I have 3 free range roosters and currently feeding them a mix of cracked corn and an all flock crumble.
If they Freerange from Sunrise to Sunset I would skip the Cracked Corn and just offer the All-flock or a Non-medicated Start and Grow 18 to 20% Protein as their only ration. A lack of nutrients is a possibility when Free ranging, especially during winter season. GC

Last edited:
Mine are mostly free range, cooped at night. In the evening I call them in and give them (22 birds) a 1/2 feed scoop of lay pellets and a pan of whatever scraps there are. I also get stale bread from the bread store outlet (use for old horse with no teeth) and I generally tear up a few slices of bread for them. Everything is totally cleaned up in 30 minutes, usually less. They are all in good shape. The pellets are the very last thing they eat: first any bread, then they pull the best scrap parts out, finally they eat pellets. During max garden season, I usually back off on any prepared feed. In the pasture, their favorite food is horse poop.

Why are you giving them corn? Are you fattening them in preparation for butchering?

If not, better to cut out the corn and offer only the regular feed as supplement to their foraging.
Is it bad to give a little corn as a treat everyday ? I do and mealworms after the free range most of the day , they have layer feed also

Back
Top Bottom