Feeding frozen eggs?

TJAnonymous

Enabler
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
I store my eggs in a refrigerator in the garage. Last summer my fridge fluked out and got really cold which caused about 8 dozen eggs to freeze. Obviously I can't sell these eggs now. At the time, I didn't have time to deal with it so I just stuffed the frozen eggs in the freezer and forgot about it. I only remembered they were there when I came across them last weekend.

So my question is whether I can feed frozen or thawed out eggs to my chickens? I hate to just chuck them.... Maybe put them in the compost....but that's a lot of eggs. I'd love to feed them to the flock, if possible.

I store my eggs in a refrigerator in the garage. Last summer my fridge fluked out and got really cold which caused about 8 dozen eggs to freeze. Obviously I can't sell these eggs now. At the time, I didn't have time to deal with it so I just stuffed the frozen eggs in the freezer and forgot about it. I only remembered they were there when I came across them last weekend.

So my question is whether I can feed frozen or thawed out eggs to my chickens? I hate to just chuck them.... Maybe put them in the compost....but that's a lot of eggs. I'd love to feed them to the flock, if possible.
You could not only feed them to the flock but also to yourself. They'd be good for baking too.

You could not only feed them to the flock but also to yourself. They'd be good for baking too.

The whites will be fine (unless the shells cracked and the whites leaked out and got dirty), but the yolks get an odd texture after freezing. I'm sure it's not dangerous, but it might be unappetizing, depending on how you cook them.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! The eggs were never thawed out from the first time they were frozen. I checked all the eggs to see which ones were frozen, separated those out, and immediately put them in the freezer to deal with them later.

Back
Top Bottom