1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding goats questions-please read the whole post before answering

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bossynbella, Nov 26, 2008.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Okay first of all please let me say now that If you have nothing nice to say don't post it here. I don't want to hear about how I should of not gotten these goats I don't want to hear about how I was not responsable. I did before I got them and am still doing research on and asking questions about what I should do to take the best care of them. Also remember with me and all people who are new to a certain animal we come here for advice and if we didn't care about our animals we wouldn't ask these questions.
    That being said I received many wonderful responses to my other post about my new goats and a few that I would term not very nice. I am still very confused about what to feed them as I am getting tons of different oppinions both on this site, other sites and from people around the area.

I have two pygmy goats. Tempy the nanny was born in March of 2007 so she is now 1yr 8months old could be pregnant if she is, she is less then one month along, and this will be her first kid. Seeley is a wether he was born in March of 2008 so he is about 8 months old.

I have been told-NO Goat feed for Seeley, I have also been told that just hay isn't enough, so what do I feed him?
    I have been told-NO alfalfa hay, I have also been told that they have to have alfalfa hay.
    Please goat people tell me what you feed your goats and how much.
    Thank you to everyone:)
    Melissa

2. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    I mix my own goat food after not being completely happy with the pre mixed kind.
    I do:
    50lbs crimped oats
    50lbs barley flakes
    50lbs alfalfa pellets (if i dont have alfalfa hay)
    12lbs black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS)
    12lbs cracked corn
    10lbs dry beet bulp (spring-fall) wet in the winter
    8.5lbs decoxx (cocci prevention)

I know it sounds like a lot, but i am very pleased with it, they are holding a good weight and have nice smooth coats. As far as how much to feed, you need to watch their weight and see, it varies per goat, just like people. You want to not see hip bones, but at the same time dont want a bulging hip bone.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Most of the research I did before getting my goats told me that wethers should not get grain, only hay. My girls who are both pregnant only get a small handful of grain each day right now. The woman I got my goats from said to feed alfalfa hay to all goats, as much as they want. My pg girls also get some bermuda hay though she said that wethers would not need that.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    My boy (weather) eats HAY, alfalfa and grass mix... and each evening he gets a small scoop of horse senior feed (or he'd steal the horses)

He's fat as a HOUSE, and heaven help us if we're late bringing dinner! [​IMG] he's more HAIR than anything!

He gets some treats now and then, sometimes I'll throw in a cup of sunflower seeds, some times its carrots, or apples or something like that - but thats not every day.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  5. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    I feed all of my pygmies (does, bucks and wethers) 20% horse grain. I also give them as much hay as they want. The hay is what helps them keep warm in the wintertime just like in horses. I also worm them around this time after the ground has frozen just to get rid of anything that they may have. All of my pygmies get thier CD&T shots in the springtime.
    I hope that this helps [​IMG]

6. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    My 3 nigi dry does and my 2 wethers get bermuda hay, free choice and the 5 get 3 cups of pelleted goat feed split between them all. I dump 1 cup into 3 different tubs and its a free for all. Its gone in a few minutes. Fresh water, changed everyday. They wont drink it if 1 bug or piece of hay is floating in it. I was told bred does should have alfalfa but wethers should not. BTW, I use a small plastic cup to measure out the fed so I'm not sure if its actually a true cup.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    All of mygoats get a scoop of feed, 3 alfalfa cubes, beet pulp shreds and all the hay and browse they want. When my does are milking they also get a 14% protein sweet feed ration on the milking stand.

8. Kikiyo

Kikiyo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    Washington
    what is sweet feed?

9. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    Like you I kinda fell into goats and am constantly researching to learn more. I feed my goats hay (mostly junk hay) and goat/sheep feed everyday. I mix in some 12% sweet cattle feed a couple of times a week. They are growing and doing great. I have one momma w/two month old babies, two pregnant ones (first time moms), one mix breed 8 month old girl, and one 7 month old billy.

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    A mixed grain feed with molasses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by