feeding ground hazelnuts for calcium?

You could try putting them all on layer feed only (no more leftovers, they already free range so they're already getting a mix of things to eat) and see if that makes any difference.
Thank You. I filled their pen feeders with 3/4 layer mash and 1/4 fancy scratch. Also ground up calcium tablets I take myself and sprinkled about a Tbs on their banana. Cut way back on the veggie treat in the evening. I will keep you posted

Thank You. I filled their pen feeders with 3/4 layer mash and 1/4 fancy scratch. Also ground up calcium tablets I take myself and sprinkled about a Tbs on their banana. Cut way back on the veggie treat in the evening. I will keep you posted

Since you are worried about calcium at this point, I would skip the "fancy scratch" and just use layer feed for a while to see if it helps.

The scratch is not going to have as much calcium as layer feed, and probably has less protein as well. Chickens are more likely to waste feed by throwing it around, if they have a mixture and are trying to dig for their favorite pieces. All of those are reasons to not add scratch it when you are trying to fix a problem with laying hens. Depending on how "fancy" it is, the scratch may even cost more than the layer feed, which would be another point against it.

Since you are worried about calcium at this point, I would skip the "fancy scratch" and just use layer feed for a while to see if it helps.

The scratch is not going to have as much calcium as layer feed, and probably has less protein as well. Chickens are more likely to waste feed by throwing it around, if they have a mixture and are trying to dig for their favorite pieces. All of those are reasons to not add scratch it when you are trying to fix a problem with laying hens. Depending on how "fancy" it is, the scratch may even cost more than the layer feed, which would be another point against it.
x2. This would simplify things and ensure that they're getting nutritionally balanced feed in their system when they're not out foraging.

Our "fancy scratch" is Kalmbach's Henhouse Reserve. Per lb I know it's got to be cheaper than yours and it's nutritional chicken feed I won't feed mine because they waste too much. Thus, it's their scratch now and my ferment base. They get layer crumbles. (Silkies).

It's a consideration if you want to check the prices next time you're buying yours. And you can say you have fancy scratch still. ☺️

Thank you. I am also cutting back on their treats to a hand full of carrots and bananas coated in ground up calcium tablets.
So I cut back on their treats and scratch 3 days ago and am feeding just a few scraps and laying mash. The egg production dropped in half. I also started adding ground up calcium tables to their carrot treat. Egg shells are stronger already. But I guess they will have to get use to the change in feed and hopefully the egg production will go back up to around 70% vs. 40%

Back
Top Bottom